Chapter 22

Viscera's POV

After a long night of thinking, looking at the sky, and practicing my katana fighting, as you never can be too careful in this place, I've decided to leave Chaff. With 5 left, we are nearing the end, and I'm lucky that I'm even still alive. I feel bad, as he's going crazy it seems, but knowing this, I decide to not tell him I'm leaving. I know this is terrible to do, but I'm not risking him killing me right here, right now.

I take my katana and half of the rationed meal we got from the sponsor ballon. I start going down the mountain, looking for a place to find shelter when I'm suddenly jerked up and I'm hanging by my feet like an absolute idiot. Knowing who's alive, this trap can only be set by one tribute, and I look into her cold dead eyes, Siren.

"Awwww, did someone get stuck." She says teasingly, sharpening her trident. She gives me an evil smirk as she begins walking towards me. I see her nose is damaged and think of who could've done it. The girl from 12 must've done it, as I don't see the little 12 year old from 6 doing it, and she might be more of a threat than I originally thought. She holds her trident up, when I punch her in the face, causing her to fall back, and I get out of the ropes. I must say, she does terrible knots, even as a career. She gives out a scream and staggers back up. And I start rushing sideways to get my katana, but she's too fast and she cuts a huge gash in my hip, and I scream, then I see the blood flowing out of it.

She strikes at my lungs, but I'm able to roll to the side to get my katana. I take a swing but she nimbly dodges, and I take this chance to bandage up my wound.

I underestimate how fast she is though, and I have to stop bandaging half way through, leaving a blood trail behind me. Even if she doesn't have great knot tying skills, she's super strong, though she doesn't look like it. I'm cornered in the cave after running for my life, but I can't get away from her and she kicks me in the gut, I grunt as I hit my head against the hard rocks, and I see death above me, its evil smile, and it's foot against my throat. "I've been waiting for this you dumb 10." She says, "Too bad your little friend from 11 couldn't come, where is he?"

A sudden rush of guilt washes over me, knowing it's my fault I'm in the clutches of the stone cold killer. "My brother was a great fighter, and I'm going home. I'm not gonna let my family lose another one of their children!" She stabs her trident into my skull, I try to say something but only blood comes out. I crumple over. I hear a canon, knowing it's for me, and I go cold. Everything goes black...

Chaff's POV

The canon wakes me up. I look around and I see that Viscera is nowhere to go, and I suddenly fear the worst. I grab my knife and sprint down the mountain, looking for her body, tears forming in my eyes hoping I'm not right. I find a cave, and see a dried blood trail, and I sprint in. I find no one, except when I go deeper, I find her, Viscera. She has a trident's cut on her skull, knowing that Siren did this, and a rush of anger goes through me, as I look at Viscera's lifeless body.

I don't want to leave, but I know the capitol has to pick up the body. A sponsor balloon comes down in a tree near me and I jump up and grab it. I found a sword, and read the note. "This is from district 10, they wanted you to kill the girl that did this for Viscera's death, and that all of district 10 is rooting for you. Seeder."

I clutch the sword in my hand, and knowing that another whole district is counting on me now, I have only one goal: Kill Siren. I find some non-poisonous berries, and take them down the mountain, bloodlust rushing through me. The sun goes down and I sit against a tree, get in my sleeping bag, knowing I can't waste sleep thinking about Viscera or Soya, I close my eyes and lose consciousness.