Chapter 13

Colt's POV

I wake up in the early morning to someone screaming. I jump off my bed and I see that it's Viscera in her bed. I rush over and shake her to wake her up, and when she is awake she is absolutely terrified. "What the hell?!" I exclaim, and she comes back to reality.

"What happened!" yells Greir, who rushes into the room.

"I-I'm f-fine.." Viscera says in a shaky voice, and rushes out of her room. Me and Greir look at each other, and I go to the dining room. Everyone is silent, until Greir says,

"Viscera... what was that about?" Viscera gives him a side eye,

"Nothing, I'm. Fine." Viscera walks away, "See you at training Tina." She calls, and she slams the door behind her.

After breakfast, My stylist Bart says, "It's time for training. And he ushers me to the elevator. He has me walk in these fancy leather shoes that he wants me to wear, which are not hard at all. He then gets me comfortable with the brown suit I'll be wearing, and it feels very uncomfortable. Usually back in district 10 we just wear hats and a shirt, because it's so hot there. It makes me miss home even more, but it brings me back to reality when my prep team charges at me, looking so excited because this might be the last time they get to make me look 'good'. It must be so much worse for girls, to walk in heels and to wear a dress, but my prep team gives a bunch of makeup, and I just want to go back to my normal self.

After about five hours of practicing, my prep team, and Bart, they bring me to a room with all the other tributes. Bart said my tactic in the interviews should be to act funny, which I usually do without trying anyway. Caesar walks up and welcomes everyone, then calls out, "Luster Gold!" and the boy from 1 comes up, and acts cool and smug... like careers.

The girl from 1 then comes up and I'm surprised how young she is, but age doesn't mean much in these games. She doesn't really act, and I can see she is just genuinely being herself, which I kinda like better than acting, but I'm not leaving my tactic. The 2's go up and act tough as usual, and the 3's don't really talk. The boy gives more of a shy personality, while the girl is more silent but deadly. Then the 4's go and they act attractive, and you can see it in their costumes, and as usual, the capitol loves them. Spark and Jo mock them as they go up, and everyone else can't help but laugh. Jo goes and he acts tough, and Spark is shy. The 6's are shy, and don't really stand out. The boy from 7 acts tough, and he also mentions how he hates the careers, not the greatest thing to say really. The girl is, you guessed it, shy. The 8's actually look like a threat, the girl looks smart and the boy can run fast, they definitely deserve more than a 6.

Kernel, my ally, actually is loved by the capitol, they nicknamed her, 'The girl in green' I wish I had a nickname like that. I can see that her district partner is not gonna be joining us anytime soon, then my name gets called up, and I can't believe the crowd. I sit down and Caesar says, "Hello hello! Colt, I have to ask, are you named after the horse?" I answer, knowing I can't show my nerves,

"If you want Caesar, I mean back home we see a lot of horses running around." Caesar laughs,

"A bit homesick?" I laugh,

"You can say that, if you want to." The crowd whispers to themselves, and Caesar asks me a few more questions about my family, more back home, what it's been like, and my training score, and when time is up, he raises my hand and I'm ushered off stage. Viscera goes for silent yet deadly as well, and the 11's are just themselves. Finally the 12's go and they are so shy, and when Caesar asks about each other, they just blush and laugh, it's so cute.

It's the end of the interviews and we head back to our room. I fill up on everything, because this might be my last time eating, and I go to the roof where Viscera is when I can't sleep, I mean, who could? "Hey." I whisper, and she turns back,

"Oh, hey..." We don't talk to each other because we both know what's gonna happen in the morning. "C-can I tell you something?" Viscera asks and I didn't notice the tears in her eyes when she tells me,

"Uh... sure." Viscera looks away and says,

"I miss home. I mean, if I could be the poorest person in Panem and still be home, I would trade it for this. I mean we are all just objects in their game, and I don't..." she has a hard time saying, "I don't... I just wanna go home." I've never seen Viscera cry so much, she is this tall muscular girl and could definitely win these games, but I just feel so bad for her.

"It's ok, I mean it's not like we chose to be here." She doesn't answer, and we just sit here on the balcony all night because I'm sure almost none of the other tributes can get some sleep for what's to come.