Chapter 12

Kernel's POV

I eat dinner and then I watch as the TV turns on. Everyone crowds on the huge sofa, and they include Garner, Chester, my prep team, the escort Nina, Garner's stylist Sharron, Garner's prep team, and our mentors.

My mentor is Marian Greene, who is very brutal. I watched her games and she was right at home, because there were corn fields and wheat fields all around, just like district 9. She hid in the fields and slaughtered four people using her pitchfork, and her approach is to kill everyone, no allies or anything, and I guess I've already broken that rule, because I'm part of an alliance, so sorry Marian. Garner's mentor is Daniel Bernhardt, and he is a strong and tough looking guy, just like Garner. Him and Garner get along really well, and I heard that he had an ally during his games. It was his district partner, who was also his girlfriend, and she died right in his arms, and I think everyone in the capitol cries when they see his games.

"Hello everyone, and welcome, to the ratings of the 45th annual hunger games!" Calls out Caesar Flickerman on the TV. "Now, let us start with district 1!" The boy from 1 gets a nine, a pretty high score, and the girl gets a 7. The 2's both get a 10. The boy from 3 gets a 6, while the girl gets a 9. The 4's both get 11's, which is amazing. My allies, the 5's do well, as Jo gets an 8, and Spark gets a 10, they are definitely ones to watch out for. The boy from 6 gets a 3, and the girl gets a 6. The boy from 7 gets a 9, and the girl gets a 4. The 8's both get 6's. Then it's Garner, who gets a score of...9. Everyone is excited, and his stylist, prep team, and Daniel all jump up and high five each other. Then it was me, and everyone became silent again. "Kernel Fonio," said Caesar, "with a score of...8." It wasn't as good as Garner, but everyone congratulated me, and everyone walked away, except me and Marian. "Lets see your other competition." Says Marian, who is smiling. Colt got a 7, and his district partner got a 10! I was impressed. The 11's then came, and the girl got a 4, and the boy got a 7, not bad. The 12's then went and they each got 5, and then they ended it. "Well, interviews are tomorrow, and then it's the games." Marian said, and I nodded, and I immediately crash out on my bed.