Chapter 15

Gleam's POV

Techna shakes me awake and I see the field we are hiding on. I see Garner, the boy from 9, waking up as well, as we made a truce until one of us leaves.

"Hey, water?" Techna asks and I shake my head. I see the gash on Techna's leg has already soaked the bandages in blood.

"Cmon, let's get you cleaned up." I put her arm over my shoulder and she hobbles over to the small pond. "Wash it with the water, I'll get new bandages."I tell her, and she does as I say. My mom knows first aid back home, but usually she has more herbs than this. I walk over to Garner as I give her the bandages.

"Good morning." I say casually, as if it's just another morning.

"Hey." he answers. We sit there in silence for a bit. I analyze him, and even though he's only an age older than me, he's tall. He must think I'm this terrible person because I'm from district 1, and who can blame him? We do terrible things to tributes in the hunger games. Like behead tributes, and one girl carved her name into another girl's arm. I see someone coming at us, as Garner has his back turned. And I notice it's not someone, it's a group of someones.

"We found them!" I hear the girl from 4 yell, and I grab my bow.

"Garner, get Techna out of here!" I yell, and I can tell he doesn't want to fight the careers, "I'll cover you!" he nods and I fire the first arrow, and I just barely miss Ajax. I have ten other arrows, so I'll want to use them wisely. We are cornered so we will have to either kill them or go along the side of the arena to escape. Techna can barely run, so Garner starts carrying her on his back. Luster throws a spear, and it grazes my head, and it starts bleeding just over my eyelid. "I'm ok, just run, I'll be a distraction!" Garner nods, and as expected, they all charge at me. Ajax throws a knife, and it goes into my leg. I yelp in pain, and I rip it out of my leg and throw it back at Ajax, where it hits him in the forehead and he collapses. This makes them bend down to help him, and I am able to limp away, and as I get to the forest in the mountains I hear a canon. I don't know where Garner and Techna went, and all of the sudden I get tackled. "H-hey!" I say, but I suddenly pass out.

Finbar's POV

I see Ajax's body as Luster mourns for him. "Toughen up Luster!" I yell, but he continues to cry like a baby. I shake my head, Gleam is smart, but she's injured, we'll just have to kill her later, or she'll bleed out, which is fine by me. Siren looks around the field, and I see it's huge. I'd say the arena is about 111 square miles, which is a heck of a lot. I pull Siren to the side to talk about who to target next.

"I would love to shut Luster up right about now." I whisper, glaring at Luster.

"I know you do, and he's an idiot, but it's better if we just kill him until the end." Siren says with an evil smile, and I smile back.

"Cmon, make yourself useful Luster and make a fire!" I yell, and he stops crying and grabs some wood from a bush. "I'm gonna go, there's twelve left, might as well make it eleven." I patrol around the field, take some berries from a bush, and make a trap that will leave a small tribute hanging by their feet, waiting to be slaughtered. I head back to camp and we get some sleep while Luster stays on watch all night.