The Foreign Mei

Monday 9:30am
Biology class was in session. I was busy copying the notes I had missed which I had forgotten to copy last week.
Ugh!
Anyways, I had seen a lot of new faces I hadn't seen last week. I guessed that they were all students who resumed late.

Mrs Evans, thought through her open textbook, pointing at the board with her stick. "The Ecosystem can be threatened in many ways. It can be through the unawareness of the public about the conservation of natural resources...."

But I wasn't listening because this one girl was behind me, in a conversation with another.
"You're hopeless you know that?" She said.

"What did I do I now?" The boy asked.

"Such a stupid question. Didn't I tell you to prepare for school during the weekend? And now you start asking for an extra notebook?? "

"I just forgot mine Mei. You don't need to be rude"

" Shut up." She said harshly.

I really tried to pay attention until I heard my name being called. I looked at Mrs Evans, and then realized everyone was looking at me.
"Yes ma'am?"

"What are you copying? I hope it's not another subject in my class? " Mrs Evans asked suspiciously.

"Oh no! " I quickly answered. "It's your subject, Biology. I just missed my notes last week. That's why."

"That reminds me. You didn't come to class on Thursday. Mind to tell me why?"

I chewed my lip. People looked away or turned north on thier seats, trying to mind thier business. Damage already done you gossips!
"Ma'am it's quite private." I said nervously.

Mrs Evans was blank until she went wide eyed in realization.
Realization of what exactly?
"Oh, ok. After class, meet me." She said and got back to teaching.
For some reason I felt that girl's gaze on my back through out the class.

••••••••••••••••••

Monday 10:30am
I stood in front of Mrs Evans' table, her sitting down.
"Are you on your period dear?"

Um what??!
"Period? What! No no...It isn't that private." I said.

"Oh. Well is it something I should be worried about?"

Telling on Jessica would have been a very good thing to do right now. Buuuuuttt...
"Nope. Nothing serious."

"Good then." A girl said.
I recognized the voice and looked back.

The girl wore a white vest, ironed black trousers with black shoes. Her straight shiny black hair was in a bun, with bangs covering her eyes.

Why did she dress like an office worker?

"Mrs Evans." She said looking down on her.

"Mei? It's been a long time. You left the school for half of the last term."

Mei? Her name. Was she Japanese or Chinese? I wasn't sure.
I though her name was spelt 'May' until she wrote her name down on the attendance list.
"Yes. I'm back now. I would like to burrow your notes to copy for myself" She said.

"My notes? Why can't you copy from your classmates?"Mrs Evans asked.

"They copy absolute nonsense." She said.