Chapter 8 - "You hurt her,you deal with me"

(Yanna POV)

I woke up, and my parents are still here. Isn't that just a beautiful thing to wake up to? I love it when my mom and dad come home for more than one night.

I turned eighteen yesterday, and it was hands down one of my best birthdays so far. The past three years, my parents weren't able to be here for my birthday, but this year they made special arrangements so they could celebrate with me. I love my family. I don't know what I would do if I ever lost them.

I get dressed and legitimately slide down the banister.

"And she sticks the landing!" I exclaim in victory when my feet land at the bottom of the stairs.

I can hear my dad applaud from around the corner, "There's my favorite girl!" He sings when he sees me skip into the kitchen.

(Yes, I am eighteen... I'm just happy. Let me enjoy this, okay?)

"Good morning." I kiss both their cheeks.

"Good morning, Yanna." My mom greets me with a plate of eggs and toast with my favorite apple butter on the side. God, I love my mom.

"Ughh this looks so good!" I say along with the deep rumble of my stomach.

My dad almost chokes on a sip of orange juice, which makes me giggle. I start eating my toast before I make another comment, and my father chokes to death.

Okay, okay. My life right now? Pretty picture perfect. I can get used to this. But I just want to take advantage of this time. For all I know, my parents are being called away tomorrow, and I won't see them for who knows how long.

Breakfast ended pretty quickly actually. I never leave myself a lot of time in the morning for extra stuff like food when I could have been sleeping. Priorities, people... priorities.

I wave to my mom and dad as I grab my book bag and coat and slip out the front door.

I take a deep breath in of the leftover snowy air, and then let it out. The smile on my face doesn't seem like it's going to stop growing.

"Today is the best day ever."

(Yoongi POV)

"Today is the worst day ever."

I groan and roll over in bed. Last night's patrol at Yanna's house left me with two hours of sleep to go off of. Yes, I was trained to go days without sleep, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck. I love sleep, okay? Probably more than life most days.

I sit up. My school uniform is hanging on the wall opposite me... it's taunting me. A full week of school is almost over. Day five of my mission. Status update so far? Mission successful. Actually, get this! I have Yanna's father's blessing. If that doesn't earn me some kind of medal, I don't know what will.

The floor is so cold when my bare feet touch it. It makes me shiver.

"Okay," I try to wake myself up, "Day five. Objective? Protect Yanna." I sigh and stand up, "... again."

I'm not sure what I'm protecting her from still, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for anything and everything that could be a threat.

Actually, I spent a good amount of time last night thinking about her father and that tattoo. That small, black crow on his left wrist. I know where it's from, but he couldn't possibly-- I mean, there's no way he's affiliated with-- what I mean to say is there's no way he's actually-- oh, forget it. This man is more than what he seems. Just thinking about him puts me on edge.

I doubt anything will happen at school today, but just in case, I'll be with Yanna all day. If anything does come up, I'll be sure to be ready.

At home... that's a different story.