Chapter 21: Questions

Hiyori POV

"You did well to remember my name, but it would be undignified of you to greet me with such lack of respect, wouldn't you think?"

...?

"P-Pardon me for my rude manners, Koenji-san, but..."

Why...why is he...

"Why are you...willing to converse with me?"

Koenji-san is...not a character that would be interested in others.

Just as depicted in the novel, he remained extremely apathetic towards others' concerns, nor did he involve himself over any class matter.

Then, why is he...initiating a conversation with a passing stranger such as me, who should have been nothing in his eyes?

What purpose is it for him to converse with me, that would lead to him acting out of his character?

As these questions flowed through my mind, the scene of my encounter with Kushida-san formed itself, tightening my gaze towards his.

"Well, that isn't a very proper response for my hospitality, is it?"

Even if those are words of reprimanding, Koenji-kun's gaze still remained relaxed.

"I...I apologise, Koenji-san, but-"

"I would advise you to refrain from putting up a false caution here, sleepy girl." He interrupted. "Think a little from my perspective. As the next owner of the honourable Koenji conglomerate, wouldn't you think it will be quite despicable of me to bare my fangs against a helpless lady, hum?"

That means in his eyes, I'm not a worthwhile opponent for him to scheme against...is it?

"So...is this merely a coincidence then? That you met me here and made the decision to converse with me?"

"My oh my," he held his chin. "It seems to me that you're quite paranoid. Am I really a person deserved of such a suspicion in your eyes?"

Yes...in all honesty.

"We're still not quite as well-acquainted as you would like to think, Koenji-san." I rebutted, pressing down my thoughts. "In addition, there should be nothing of interest here that is worthy of your attention, so it would be quite careless of me to not be suspicious of you."

Unless...it would be another case if it concerns the novel...

"Kuku, I suppose I do not dislike your honesty," he chuckled at my remark. "Do as you like, but there's one thing you know that can be an object of interest to me, isn't there?"

My shoulders stiffened at his remark.

"I'm not sure what you're talking abo-"

"I would advise you to cease feigning ignorance towards me," he said. "It's quite a nuisance for both of us to dodge the matter at hand, am I right?"

The matter...

"...By any chance, do you know of the novel as well?" I asked.

He only left another question as a response.

"Why do you think I bothered wasting my breath here otherwise?"