Chapter 24: Culprits (2)

Re-cap: Hiyori and Ibuki met the librarian, who claimed to be behind all the events that transpired recently.

15 minutes before the library confrontation:

Kiyotaka POV

"This...No way!"

Thus screamed Akito, his usual cool demeanor now completely distorted, as he stared at the luxurious seafood meal on the table in front of his. Its abundant amount of steamed crams, along with the glittering, golden shrimps with a dense soy sauce and glittering rice, made the three fried sandwiches he ordered paled in comparison

His remark though earned a gawk from his glassed friend at the front. "What?"

Akito blinked, before sighing. "I...I actually thought that discount is a scam..."

"Apparently not," said Yukimura, who grabbed a cram. "For some reason, the school decided to be generous today. A little suspicious, but I'm not going to waste the generosity anytime."

Akito's surprise and Yukimura's suspicion were not unwarranted though. 

This is the first time the school has ever offered 'discount' on the menu. What used to be the price of the '30,000' private points, now reduced to '1000' private points, a huge upgrade compared to the cheap chicken salad meal, costing 1150 private points.

"Ah what a pain..." Akito scratched his head. "I paid even more for the sandwiches than this. How am I going to get back from this..."

"You shouldn't really say that." Yukimura said, opening the oyster. "Kiyotaka ordered less than you do, and even he paid more for his meal."

I glanced at the salad in front of me. "I would say...I don't prefer seafood today."

"Well...you should though," said Yukimura, before grabbing and chewing the shrimp.

"I agree, you and I are too cautious..." Akito sighed. "Even everyone just rushed to get their meals here. How annoying..."

That's true. Most of the people, even faces I don't remember being usually in the lunch hall, rushed to get this discounted meal. Surprisingly, all of them get what they desired on the table, in a situation where there is a influx of students chasing after the same meal.

Pretty smart of the school to prepare enough for the students, I suppose.

"Well, it's still pretty weird for the school to suddenly offer such a generous discount though," Yukimura said. "Well, no use in thinking too much into it, I would claim."

"Yeah, I agree." Akito bit hard at the sandwiches, his grumps still heard clearly. "Being irritated doesn't really help..."

Irritated...is it?

Well in my case, I earned a free seafood meal yesterday, so...I suppose I do not feel like ordering for another. Yet, it is unfortunate that I cannot save some private points, considering my private point contract with Kushida is still active.

"By the way," I decided to shift the topic. "Where're Airi and Haruka?"

"Oh, them?" Akito perked up his eyes, munching the sandwiches. "They suddenly said they had something else to do, so they would not join us for lunch today."

It makes sense, given what happened last night.

And then Yukimura prodded my arm. As I turned to see him, I can spot a serious gaze behind his glasses. A certain...weight, is felt behind his tight expression.

"Listen," his word strict and straight. "Did something happen between you and the two?"

I frowned a little. "What can it be?"