Chapter 1

Harper's POV
I woke up and realised what day it is. I'm starting in Intelligence. My sister doesn't know, I want to surprise her. I got out of bed and went to wake up my daughter Summer. I walked in her room to see her looking in her wardrobe.

"I didn't expect you to be up." I said crouching down to her.

"I got up a few minutes ago. I'm deciding what to wear." She said. I kissed her head. I got her dressed and we went into the kitchen to make breakfast.

"I like school." She said.

"I didn't like school at all." I replied and she smiled. I made pancakes and we ate together.

"We have to leave a little bit earlier this morning." I said.

"Why?" She asked tilting her head, making me smile.

"Because I'm starting in a different unit today. I have to get there earlier. I'm going to be working with auntie hailey." I said.

"Auntie hailey is the best." She said. I faked a sad face.

"What about me?" I asked.

"You're my favourite momma. I love you." She said coming over to me. I smiled.

"I love you too." I said kissing her head. We got our coats on and headed to the car. I dropped Summer off at school and headed to the 21st district. As I walked in, I saw someone who I looked up to when I was 14. I went over to the front desk.

"You don't remember me, do you?" I asked Sergeant Platt. She looked up from her paperwork.

"Oh my god, Harper Upton." She said.

"Wait, are you the new member of Intelligence?" She asked and I smiled.

"Yep." I said.

"Does hailey know?" She asked.

"Nope, I thought I would surprise her. Sergeant Voight told me to come in early before everyone else." I said and she nodded. She sorted out my handprint on the scanner.

"Does Voight know you're Hailey's sister?" She asked.

"Yeah, he figured it out when he saw my name." I said and she nodded. I headed upstairs and went over to Sergeant Voight's office. I knocked on the door.

"Come in." He said. I opened the door.

"Hi, I'm H—" I said before cut me off.

"Detective Harper Upton." He answered shaking my hand. I nodded.

"Welcome to Intelligence." He said.

"Thank you." I replied. I turned around as I heard the gate close.

"Let's introduce you to everybody." He said and I nodded. I heard footsteps. The next sound I heard came from my sister.

"No fucking way. Are you the new member of Intelligence?" She asked and I nodded. She hugged me.

"God, I've missed you." I said.

"You saw me two days ago." She answered.

"I know, but twins aren't supposed to be separated." I said.

"Did you just say twins?" Some guy said.

"I'm the better looking twin." I said. I was introduced to everybody. I met Kim, Jay, and Kevin.

"Where's Ruzek?" Voight asked.

"Probably late." Hailey answered. I sat down at my desk.

"Harper, you're going to be partnered with Ruzek, if he decided to grace us with his presence." Voight said and I nodded. Suddenly, I heard someone racing up the steps. I looked over and saw a guy. He saw me and looked confused.

"You must be the new member of Intelligence. Adam Ruzek." He said shaking my hand.

"Harper Upton." I said.

"Wait, Upton as in—" He said looking between hailey and I.

"Twins." I said. He was about to say something, but was interrupted by Voight.

"Ruzek, you're partnered with Harper. Also, why are you late?" He asked.

"I overslept, it won't happen again." He said sitting down at his desk, which was opposite mine. We didn't have a case. I was working on my paperwork.

"So, who's older?" Kim asked.

"Harper is two minutes older." Hailey said.

"Best two minutes of my life." I added and everyone chuckled.

"Did you get much sleep last night? Is everything okay? You look worn out." Hailey said looking at me.

"When did we start playing 20 questions?" I asked and she smiled.

"I slept well." I said and she raised her eyebrow.

"You live with a 5 year old and tell me if you're worn out." I said and she smiled.

"How is my favourite niece?" She asked.

"She's your only niece." I said and she chuckled.

"Wait, I have a question." I said and everyone looked at me which I didn't expect.

"Does anyone know about the whole dad situation?" I whispered in her ear. She pulled away from me.

"No." She said and I nodded. I went back over to my desk.

Surprisingly, we didn't catch a case. I guess the bad guys took a day off. Voight said we could all go home. I got up.

"Say hi to Summer for me." Hailey said.

"I will." I said smiling.

"Who's Summer?" Jay asked.

"My daughter." I said and he nodded. I went to Summer's school and picked her up.

"Hey baby, how was school?" I asked.

"It was fun!" She said excitedly.

"Let's go home." I said. I strapped her in the car seat and we headed home.

"What shall we have for dinner?" I asked as we got through the door.

"Ummmm mac and cheese." She said.

"Okay then, mac and cheese it is." I said. We sat at the table and ate. She somehow managed to get it all over her.

"You look a mess. I'm going to run you a bath." I said and she giggled. I put our plates in the dishwasher. I ran her a bath. I cleaned her up and got her out of the bath. I took her into her room and dried her off. I put her in her pyjamas.

"Momma, I'm tired." She said.

"Okay then baby." I said. I picked her up and went to put her in bed.

"Momma, can you stay with me until I fall asleep?" She asked.

"Of course I can Summer." I said. I sat with her and stroked her hair until she fell asleep.