Chapter 3

Harper's POV
I was at work. We didn't have a case. We started talking about random stuff.

"Okay, everyone has to answer this. What is the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?" Ruzek said.

"I'm not answering that." Jay replied.

"Me neither." Answered Kim.

"No way." Kevin said.

"Nope." Hailey said.

"Hailey got syphilis in high school." I said and everyone looked shocked.

"At least I didn't get caught making out with the history teacher." She replied.

"You bitch." I said.

"Whore." She said.

"This is like a reality show." Adam said and everyone started laughing.

"I want more secrets." Kev said.

"Hailey got drunk and jumped in a lake naked." Everyone started laughing.

"Harper's boyfriend made a sex tape of them." She said and I looked at her shocked.

"Okay, stop embarrassing me." I said.

"You stop first." She said and I sat in silence. Suddenly, my phone started ringing. I looked at the caller ID. My brother Tyler.

"It's Tyler, he never calls me." I said looking at hailey.

"Answer it." She said. I held the phone to my ear.

"Tyler?"

"Harper, it's me, I need your help. This is bad."

"Woah woah woah, what's going on?"

I put the phone on speaker and hailey came over to me.

"Dad called Johnny and I. He told us to come by the house. He's going crazy. Mom's not here, I don't know where she is. I'm in the bathroom. You have to get here. He's not even drunk. I saw a gun under his shirt."

Hailey and I looked at each other concerned. I felt everyone's eyes on us. Voight came out of his office.

"Is everything okay?" He asked. We both shook our heads.

"312 Belmont Avenue. Meet us there. Possible hostage situation." Hailey said. We all got up and headed to the house. I got in the car with Ruzek.

"Is everything okay?" He asked. Tears were running down my face. I kept my eyes on the road.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asked.

"The secret is going to come out." I said.

"What secret?" He asked.

"Wait until we get there." I said and he nodded. We got outside the house. We all got there at the same time. Hailey and I nodded at each other with tears in our eyes. Everyone looked at us worriedly. I was about to knock on the door, but I heard a gunshot. We all rushed in the house and I saw my brother Johnny shot on the ground. Hailey and I rushed over to him.

"JOHNNY!!" I shouted.

"Hey guys." He said.

"Someone call an ambo." Hailey said. Tyler was stood still, like he was frozen.

"Tyler, what happened?" I asked.

"Dad shot Johnny." He said.

"Is dad still here?" I asked.

"I-I don't know. I didn't hear him leave." He said. I turned to face Voight.

"He's still in the house." I said. Everyone went searching around the house. The ambo came and took Johnny to med. It was a through and through in his shoulder. Kevin came down the stairs with my dad in handcuffs. He saw hailey and I.

"Harper, Hailey." He said. I rushed upstairs and into the first bedroom on the right. Mine and Hailey's room. I sat on the floor crying with my knees to my chest. After a few minutes, I felt eyes on me. I looked up to see Adam stood in the doorway.

"Are you okay?" He asked. I wiped my eyes.

"I'm fine." I said. I stood up. He hugged me.

"Let's go back to the district." He said and I nodded.

"Can you drive?" I asked and he nodded. We got in the car and drove to the district. We walked up into the bullpen and saw everyone around the case board. I sat down.

"I looked in the system. Mark Upton and no priors, just a speeding ticket. It's like he's a normal citizen." Kev said and I chuckled. Everyone looked at me. I looked at hailey and she nodded.

"He should be in prison." I said.

"Why?" Voight asked.

"Aggravated assault, attempted murder, domestic violence, and child abuse." Hailey said and everyone looked shocked.

After working on the case for a while, we managed to put my dad in prison for 20 years. I headed home and was sat on the couch with Summer.

"Is everything okay momma? You look sad." She said.

"I'm okay, I just had a hard day at work." I said and she hugged me tightly.

"Hugs make things better." She said.

"They sure do." I said. I heard a knock on the door. I opened it to see Adam. I looked at him confused.

"Hey, I just came to make sure you're okay." He said and I smiled slightly.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Do you want to come in?" I asked and he nodded. We went and sat on the couch.

"Mr teddy bear." Summer said excitedly. I started laughing.

"Do I really look like a teddy bear?" He asked and I shook my head. Summer jumped on him and wrapped her arms around him.

"Summer!" I shouted. She looked at me and started crying.

"Me sorry." She cried. Adam picked her up.

"It's okay." He said. She laid on his chest and fell asleep.

"I'm sorry about that." I said.

"It's okay." He said smiling. I picked Summer up and put her in bed. I walked back into the living room and started crying. Adam came over to me.

"Hey, what's up?" He asked.

"I made her cry, I'm a bad mom." I said.

"No you're not Harper." He said. He hugged me and we sat talking and drinking beer. He left after a while and I went and laid in bed. Today was an awful day, but it ended rather okay. I'm happy I have a partner like Adam.