Chapter 17

Hailey's POV

"I'm not getting in that thing." I said as the nurse came in my hospital room with a wheelchair.

"It's hospital protocol." Kim said.

"Fine." I replied. I was finally discharged from the hospital and Kim drove me home. I was about to get out of the car when she stopped me.

"Remember, Will only allowed you to be discharged because you promised to be on bed rest for the next 2 weeks. I know what you're like hails, you are not leaving our bed unless it's to pee or shower." She said and I nodded.

"I promise I'll stay in bed baby." I said before kissing her. We got inside and Kim helped me to the bedroom. I sat up in bed and watched a bit of Netflix. After a few minutes, I heard a knock at my bedroom door.

"Come in." I said. The door opened and I saw Anna. She looked worried.

"Is everything okay sweetheart?" I asked softly.

"Can I talk to you about something?" She asked and I frowned.

"Sure, come here." I said. She sat on the end of the bed.

"I need you to sign something." She said. She pulled out a piece of paper from her pocket.

"It's from school. I was going to ask mom, but I got scared." She said and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. She put the paper in my hand. I looked at it.

"I got a detention because I punched a kid." She said and I looked shocked.

"Why?" I asked annoyed.

"Please don't be mad at me." She said.

"Why did you punch someone?" I asked.

"This girl was making fun of me." She said sadly.

"What did she say?" I asked softly.

"She keeps making these rumours up about me and saying horrible things. A few days ago, she started saying that I'm weird because I don't have a dad. Yesterday, she started saying these horrible things about you and mom. It made me so upset. I couldn't take it anymore so I just punched her." She said and I sighed. I signed the paper straight away. I looked back up and saw her closing her eyes tightly and looking down.

"Hey, what are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm getting ready for the yelling." She said and I was confused.

"I'm not going to yell at you. I'm proud that you know how to defend yourself. Just try not to punch anymore people." I said and she smiled. She hugged me lightly since I was still recovering.

"Thank you." She said.

"It's okay Anna. Also, don't be scared to tell your mom. She would probably react the same way I would." I said and she nodded.

"I was scared to tell you and mom because I didn't want you to send me back to New York. I like it here." She said looking down. I immediately wrapped my arms around her.

"Oh honey, we would never do that. You're here to stay." I said and she smiled. Suddenly, Kim walked in.

"Hey guys, what's up?" She asked noticing the protective hold I had on Anna.

"She punched a kid at school, then asked me to sign the form that lets the teachers know that we know about it. She was scared to say anything because she didn't want us to send her back to New York." I said and Kim looked sympathetically at the girl in my arms. She came over to us and we all cuddled together as a family.

Adam's POV
Harper was on bed rest and I was sat with Summer on the couch. Her cute little smile faded away.

"What's the matter sweetheart?" I asked.

"Daddy, can I ask you something?" She asked shyly and I nodded.

"Of course you can princess." I said.

"The man who took me said he was my dad. Is he the one who hurt mommy?" She asked.

"Yeah Summer, he was the one who hurt mommy," I said, "did he hurt or touch you in any way that a man isn't supposed to?"

"No daddy, he didn't." She said and I sighed thankfully.

"Daddy, I have another question," she said and I nodded, signalling for her to ask me, "since I'm not your biowogical daughter, does that mean that you're not my daddy?" She asked sadly.

"Sweetheart, a daddy isn't someone who is just your blood and DNA. A daddy cares for his daughter. He makes her feel loved. He makes her feel happy. You may not be biologically mine, but I love you so much princess." I said and she smiled. She wrapped her arms around me.

"I love you too daddy." She said. She stayed laid on my chest. I stroked her back and kissed her head.

"I'm happy you're my daddy, you make me smile." She whispered and my heart warmed. I had to stop the tears spilling out of my eyes.

"You make me smile too Summer." I said softly. She started to fall asleep so I picked her up carefully and tucked her in bed. I kissed her head and went into mine and Harper's room. She was sleeping peacefully. I got in bed beside her and held her against me. She stirred slightly.

"Shh, it's only me, go back to sleep darling." I whispered. I held her head to my chest and went to sleep.