Chapter 16

Hailey's POV
It was 3pm. Anna came home from school and went straight to her room. She didn't say anything to Kim or I which is unusual. Kim and I shared confused looks.

"Do you think everything's alright?" I asked and she shrugged.

"I don't know, let's go see." I said and she nodded. We got up off the couch and went into Anna's room. She was sat on her bed with her knees to her chest, crying. Kim and I quickly rushed over to her. We sat down next to her.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I asked.

"It's nothing." Anna choked out.

"It's clearly not nothing if it's got you this upset." Kim said wrapping her arm around Anna. The young girl looked down.

"What's the matter sweetheart? You know you can tell us." I said.

"My boyfriend Jack broke up with me because I wouldn't have sex with him." She explained and Kim and I looked at each other shocked.

"But you're 14." I said.

"So is he. He said that the only thing a girl is useful for in this world is for pleasuring a man." Anna added and I was mortified. Who the hell is this kid? I wiped Anna's tears away.

"You don't need this boy. He is crazy and pathetic. If anyone ever tries to force you into something you don't want to do, tell us straight away." Kim said and she nodded. She calmed down after a few minutes and we went into the living room. We decided to binge watch a bunch of Disney movies to try and cheer her up a bit. Halfway through Tangled, there was a knock at the door. I opened it to see Voight.

"Hey Sarge, what's up?" I asked.

"Harper and Adam were shot off duty. They are at med now. Summer has been kidnapped." He said and I was shocked. I could feel the tears rolling down my cheeks. I quickly put my shoes on and grabbed my jacket. I rushed to my car. I heard Anna and Kim coming behind me. I was about to get in the driver's side when Kim took the keys out of my hand.

"You're not in the right state of mind to drive." She said and I nodded. I got in the passenger side and we drove to the district. We got into the bullpen and everyone was looking at me sympathetically. Almost my entire family has been hurt or taken, why? We started working on the case.

"Where were they shot?" I asked.

"The house was broken into. They were shot there." I said. We all thought about it for a few minutes before I had a lightbulb moment. I gasped. Everyone turned to look at me.

"Okay, let's say the guy who raped Harper finds out he has a daughter. There's no way he'll be able to get custody, so he goes to their house, shoots Adam and Harper, then takes Summer." I suggested.

"Did they ever figure out who it was?" Jay asked and I shook my head.

"Wait, go to their house. Get something with Summer's DNA on it. Then take it to med and get them to see if the paternity matches anyone in the system." Kev suggested.

"You're a genius." I said. We all grabbed our coats and we headed to Adam and Harper's house. We went into Summer's room and found a few things with her DNA on. We took them to the lab and told them that they needed to put a rush on it. While we waited, we went to see if there was an update.