25

When I exited the Greene household, I heard Shane talking to Rick.

"What's it gonna be, man? Which way does this thing go?" Shane asked.

"I don't know yet. (Y/n) stayed behind so she could speak to him." Rick answered.

I cleared my throat, gaining their attention. I stood beside Rick, wishing to speak to him.

"Well, what did he say?" Shane asked immediately.

I gave Rick a look that said 'I tried my best'. Rick shook his head and sighed.

"We're negotiating," Rick told the man.

"You're nego..." Shane cut himself off, "Clock's ticking, Rick."

"It's really not," I spoke up. "The barn is secure. We knew nothing about it until this morning."

"We didn't." Shane agreed. "Well, we know about it now. Right? We know there's over a dozen Walkers in there. We know that it's about a stone's throw from our camp, where we sleep. So look, if we're not gonna go in there and clear it out, then we just got to go."

"We're not gonna clear it out and we're not gonna go," Rick said, shooting down both options that Shane gave him.

"We at least need our guns," Shane said.

"We can't have them, not here." Rick refused.

Shane was becoming more and more aggravated, judging by the way he ran a hand over his bald head.

"Why do you want to stay here when it's not safe?"

"We can make it safe," Rick told him.

"How we gonna do that? How we gonna make it safe?" Shane continued to question.

"We will, okay?"

Seeing that I could not add anything to their conversation, I decided to leave and find Daryl. I walked over to his camp and saw that he was making more bolts for his crossbow.

"Hello." I greeted.

He grunted in acknowledgment. Feeling an overwhelming amount of stress, I sat down beside him, offering to help.

"You know how to do it?" Daryl asked.

"No," I answered honestly. "But would like to take a break from everything else going on."

"Yeah. Me too." Daryl agreed.

Daryl handed me a spare knife and tried to teach me the basics of wood carving. I messed up the first few but got the hang of it quickly. I was really good with blades.

After mere minutes of nothing but whittling wood, I felt Dale's distress. I quickly looked around the camp and saw that he nor Shane was around.

"I have to go," I said, abruptly standing up and dropping Daryl's knife.

"Where you goin'?" Daryl asked.

"Dale is feeling threatened by Shane," I said. "I am going to help him."

Without waiting for a response, I flew close to Dale, though not close enough to be seen.

"How about you just give me that bag, huh?" I heard Shane's voice.

"I'm not gonna do that." Dale refused.

"Yeah you are, Dale. Unless, well, you do have that rifle over your shoulder."

I walked into the clearing, immediately being noticed by both males. I made my way over to stand by Dale in case Shane decided to try something.

"How is it that you always show up at the most inopportune times?" Shane asked me.