26

"What is that?" Shane asked while taking off towards the barn.

Our group began to follow him, not knowing what was going on or what could happen.

"What the hell are you doing?" Shane questioned the three men with Walkers.

"Shane, just back off," Rick ordered.

It was no surprise to anyone that Shane did not listen.

"Why do your people have guns?" Hershel asked.

"Are you kidding me You see? You see what they're holding onto?" Shane preached to our group.

"I see who I'm holding onto." Hershel corrected.

"No, man, you don't." Shane denied.

"Shane, just let us do this and then we can talk," Rick said, trying to keep the peace.

"What you want to talk about, Rick? These things ain't sick. They're not people. They're dead!" Shane continued to preach. "Ain't gonna feel nothing for them cause all they do, they kill. These things right here, they're the things that killed Amy. They killed Otis. They're gonna kill all of us."

"Shut up, Shane!" I shouted.

I was tired of him, tired of his lies, and tired of his blatant disregard for others.

"Hey, Hershel, let me ask you something. Could a living breathing person, could they walk away from this?" Shane asked as he aimed his gun at one of the Walkers.

Without hesitation, Shane shot the Walker three different times. Since he did not aim for its head, it was still moving.

"That's three rounds in the chest. Could someone who's alive, could they just take that? Why is it still coming?" Shane raged at the older man.

Shane continued to shoot at the Walker.

"That's its heart, its lungs. Why is it still coming?"

"Shane, enough!" Rick called to his friend.

"Yeah, you're right, man. That is enough." Shane said.

He shot the Walker in the head, finally killing it, before heading towards the barn.

"Enough playing house! Enough living next to a barn full of things that are trying to kill us! Enough!" Shane ranted. "Rick, it ain't like it was before. Now if y'all want to live, if you want to survive, you got to fight for it! I'm talking about fighting right here, right now!"

Before anyone could stop him, Shane began beating at the locks on the barn. Knowing what was about to happen, I moved closer to Carl and Sophia, looking to keep them safe. Everyone was yelling. I could faintly hear Rick begging Hershel to take the pole for him. I could hear some members of our group pleading with Shane to stop. I could hear guns cocking, ready to fire at the Walkers inside. Shane ignored everyone and finally broke the lock. He swung the door open and set the Walkers free.

I could only watch as our group opened fire on the Walkers. I watched as Hershel collapsed to the ground, his daughter trying to comfort him. I watched as our group gunned down those who he saw as family, friends, and neighbors. I knew that his way of thinking was not right, but we could not change that. And right now, members of my group are killing his loved ones in cold blood.

After some time, all of the growling, shuffling, and firing had ended. The barn was now empty and the ground was covered in dead Walkers. Hershel and his family looked completely distraught.

"Ma!" Beth sobbed out.

She walked over to a Walker that I could only assume was her mother. The Walker grabbed onto her and tried to bite her. I rushed over and stabbed the Walker in the head, making it release Beth.