23

Once Glenn and Maggie were finished somehow making the emotion 'love', we packed up our findings and headed back to the farm. The ride there was both quiet and awkward. Once we were back at that farm, we all three went our separate ways. Maggie went inside, Glenn went to Lori, and I went to speak to Daryl.

I found Daryl sitting by his tent, sharpening his bolts. Without having to announce myself, he looked up at me.

"May I speak with you about something?" I asked him.

His response was a grunt, so I took it as a yes.

"Do you believe Shane's story about Otis?" I asked.

That seemed to get his attention, but he still remained quiet.

"Shane killed Otis." I admitted quietly.

Daryl did not really look as though he was shocked by this news.

"Why you tellin' me and not Rick?"

"Because, believe it or not, you are the person I trust most in the group. You know about what I truly am, and have yet to tell anyone else about me." I explained.

"If I told anyone else that you were an Angel, they'd think I'm crazy." Daryl said, making it seem as something that benefited him.

"Whether that is true or not, you have kept my secret. You have earned my trust." I told him. "And I cannot tell Rick because he still sees Shane as the man he was before the apocalypse. Rick sees him as his best friend; not someone that could effortlessly kill another human. Rick would not believe me."

"'Nough explainin'." Daryl told me. "Does Shane know that you know?"

I shook my head.

"Not exactly. But I may have accused him of not telling us the truth."

Daryl sighed and rubbed his hand over his face.

"Alright, as of now, we keep this between us, okay? You ain't gonna tell no one else and ya ain't gonna confront Shane about it. If he finds out that you know the truth, he'll kill ya."

I nodded to show that I understood Daryl's rules. Daryl let out another sigh.

"For now, go to sleep. Dale's keepin' watch." He said, making his way into his tent.

"But I do not require sleep."

"Then find something else to do!" Daryl shouted from inside his tent.

The next day, I spent my time watching Shane and making sure that he was not doing anything wrong. I was completely zoned out, just staring into Shane's soul. I was brought back by the sound of Carl. He looked over at Shane and his dad before talking softly to me.

"Can you teach me how to shoot?"

I looked at the small boy who wants to prove himself to the group. He no longer desires to be treated like a child.

"If I could, I would but I have never actually shot a gun. That is why I use a blade." I told the boy.

Carl sighed and looked back over towards Shane, who was now alone.

"It's okay."

Without another word, Carl made his way over to Shane. I did not think that Shane would ever hurt Carl, but I kept my eye on him anyway. They talked for a few minutes before Shane called Rick, Lori, and Dale over. I saw Shane holding a gun and instantly made my way over so I could see what was happening and if it had anything to do with Shane.

"How the hell did this happen?" Lori asked.

"Well, it's my fault. I let him into the RV. He said he wanted a walkie, that you sent him for one." Dale explained to the boy's mother.