16

It was decided that Rick, Shane, Daryl, Glenn and I would go back into the woods to track Sophia. Daryl said that I should be there in case my "angel mojo can pick up on something that he cannot". So here we all are, looking around for any sign of the missing girl.

"Sure this is the spot?" Daryl asked Rick.

"I left her right here. I drew the walkers way off in that direction up that creek." Rick explained.

"Without a paddle- seems where we've landed," Daryl said.

"She was gone by the time I got back here. I figured she just took off and ran back to the group." Rick told us.

"Hey, short rounds, why don't you step off to one side?" Daryl spoke to both Glenn and I. "Y'all are mucking up the trail."

I looked at the ground and could not see the trail that he was speaking of.

He's a hunter. Tracking is a huge part of hunting.

"I told her go that way and keep the sun on her left shoulder," Rick said, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Assuming she knows her left from her right." Shane critiqued.

Everyone shared an annoyed look with the ex-deputy.

"Shane, she understood me fine," Rick spoke.

"Kid's tired and scared, man. She had her a close call with two Walkers. Got to wonder how much of what you said stuck." Shane explained his thought process.

"Got clear prints right here," Daryl said, stopping any argument from happening. "She did like you said, headed back to the highway. Let's spread out, make our way back."

"She couldn't have gone far," Shane said.

"We are gonna find her," I said, leaving no room for an argument.

"She'll be tuckered out hiding in a bush somewhere," Rick said.

"She was doing just fine till right here," Daryl said, still looking at the ground. "All she had to do was keep going. She veered off that way."

"Why would she do that?" Glenn questioned.

"Maybe she saw something that spooked her, made her runoff," Shane suggested.

"A Walker?"

"I don't see any other footprints. Just hers." Daryl debunked Glenn's theory.

"So what do we do? All of us press on?" Shane asked.

"No, better if you, Glenn, and (Y/n) get back up to the highway. People are gonna start panicking. Let them know we're on her trail, doing everything we can. But most of all, keep everybody calm." Rick told us.

"I'll keep 'em busy scavenging cars. Think up a few other chores. I'll keep 'em occupied." Shane turned to Glenn and I. "Come on."

Glenn, Shane, and I were making our way to the highway when I felt the need to be somewhere else. It was a sensation that I had not felt since the beginning of the apocalypse. Someone was praying for an angel's help.

Sophia POV

There was a Walker still after me. My legs were tired and my lungs were burning. I couldn't do anything but keep running. When I turned back to see if the Walker was gaining on me, my foot got caught in a tree root, causing me to fall. Pain shot up through my leg.

"No. No. No." I whispered to myself.

I was no longer able to run, and the Walker was getting dangerously close. At that time, I did the only thing I could think of. My mommy always told me that if I ever felt scared, all I had to do was pray. So, I gave it a try.

"God... Jesus... angels, I've uh never done this before." I began my prayer. "I really really need help."

I couldn't stop myself from crying. I was overwhelmed by fear and panic.

"Please, I just wanna go back to my mommy," I begged.

The Walker reached down to grab me. I tried my best to kick its hands away.

"Please, please, send an angel to help me. Please."

The Walker successfully grabbed onto my foot. There was truly nothing that I could do. I closed my eyes and sobbed, trying to find a way to prepare myself for death.

"Hey, assbutt!" A voice called out.

I opened my eyes once the Walker released my foot. I looked at where the voice came from and saw that (y/n) was there, holding some kind of blade.

(Y/n) POV

I flew to the person that was praying, to find out that it was Sophia. A Walker had grabbed her foot, preventing her from escaping.

"Hey, assbutt!" I yelled, gaining the Walker's attention.

The Walker let go of Sophia's foot and came to me. Once it was close enough, I drove my angel blade through its skull. I looked back at Sophia and saw that she was cradling her foot.

"What is wrong?" I asked as I kneeled down.

"I- I think I broke my ankle." She cried.

"Allow me to help," I said and place my hand on her foot.

I used my grace to heal Sophia's foot enough to where she could walk.

"Better?" I asked.

She moved her foot, testing for any sign of pain before nodding her head.

"Come along," I said and pulled her to her feet. "We must find our way back."

"Are you lost too?"

"Yes," I admit. "I felt as if I was pulled into this area. I do not know how to get back."

I could not fly with her. For one reason, that would give away the fact that I am not actually human. For another reason, there can be major consequences to the human body after such a thing. With no other choice, Sophia and I tried to find our way back to the highway.

We had been traveling for a while now and we were no closer to the group. Sophia was practically given out so I resorted to carrying her on my back. I believe she referred to it as a 'piggyback ride'. The sound of branches snapping caught my attention.

"Sophia," I whispered, trying to silently wake the sleeping girl up.

"Hmm?" She mumbled.

"There's something out there," I said.

Her head instantly shot up. I slowly helped her get down from my back and pulled out my blade. I held a hand out to keep Sophia behind me so she would be protected. Another branch snapped closer to us. We carefully walked into the clearing, ready for an attack, but we were met with a deer. I lowered my blade and allowed Sophia to go ahead of me.

"It's so pretty." She said while staring at the deer.

"Come on," I said and grabbed her hand.

We both walked towards the deer. At first, it seemed skittish, but relaxed once it sensed my grace. We were almost close enough to pet it. Suddenly, a gunshot rang out and I felt immense pain in my torso. Sophia's scream filled the air before everything turned dark.

A/N:
Hello everyone. I've decided to gift you a double update this year! Hip hip hooray! I hope you are enjoying this book so far. Make sure to comment on what you think about it down below and if you like it, leave a like. That is all I have for you guys today so I hope you have a merry Christmas. For those who don't celebrate Christmas, happy holidays. If it's your birthday, happy birthday. If you don't celebrate any holidays and it's not your birthday, I hope you have a good day.