| 36 | The Land of Chit Chat ||

Penelope's mind was still churning from her conversation with Liam twelve or so hours before. She couldn't believe it!

It was a miracle!

No. She let her gaze fall to her feet and a smile pulled up the corner of her lips. It was Liam.

She smiled at that thought, joy filling her breast bone. She could remember with vivid clarity the feeling of relief when she sent the money to John. Ten minutes later she got a confirming text:

UNKNOWN :: Nice doin' business with you.

A weight about the size of the entire state of California was released from her shoulders. He was completely paid off.

Finished.

Done.

It was surreal. She couldn't believe she actually pulled it off. Well, she had a little help. She adjusted her purse on her shoulder as she paused at the traffic light.

It was busy as she expected during brunch on a Sunday. She finally found time to meet with Lydia. There was an extra pep in her step now that—

Her thoughts were interrupted by her ringing phone.

"You've got a collect call from CALIFORNIA STATE PRISON LOS ANGELES COUNTY. DO YOU ACCEPT THE CHARGES?"

Excitement filled her. "Yes. YES!"

"YOU'RE BEING CONNECTED." The automated voice said before it clicked over.

"Phill?!"

She smiled as she scurried across the street when she heard her brother's soft laughter. "Yeah. It's me. Got the message this morning from John's folks on the inside. They said I'm good."

That made her smile. Was that pride that filled her?

"Yep. I sent John the last payment last night."

There was silence. "You know I'm grateful, but how?"

Her thoughts floated to Liam and her chest buoyed followed by a smile she couldn't stop. "I got a really generous investor for my business."

"Pen," she could hear the disappointment in his voice.

"Don't worry about it. You just stay safe for 3 years--" The choked on the number. "And when you get out you can pay me back."

There was a silence so long she pulled her phone away from her face to make sure they were still connected. "Phill, you there?"

"Yeah. I'm here."

Her heart fell into her chest. "Don't sound so sad."

"Not sad. Pissed the fuck off!"

"Phil--"

"That money was meant for your business."

She adjusted her phone to the other ear as she looked both ways to cross the street. "Maybe, but you'd have done the same thing for me and you know it."

He grumbled something incoherent.

Another silence.

She didn't know how to assuage his guilt or frustration so she stayed silent. Sometimes he just needed to work through things.

He cleared his throat. "So, what have you been up to, Sis?"

"Oh, you know, just working on stuff." What was she supposed to say? She couldn't tell him what she's really been doing. Oh, you know, just over here having sex with someone else's husband trying to get pregnant so I can pay off some thugs trying to kill you in prison.