| 48 | Exit the Vortex ||

"Oh God Liam. Were you smoking again?"

He paused with a frown and looked up at his wife from buttoning his dress shirt's right sleeve. After realizing that she was indeed talking to him, he made his way the rest of the way down the stairs. "Yeah, outside on the patio."

"Near the damn door?" Frida grumbled, opening the patio doors to air out the place. "Gah, how many times do I have to tell you to do it further away from the house."

"Sorry, dear." He said, getting the coffee ready in the coffee maker. "I'll be in Japan this afternoon. You won't have to deal with my annoying ass shit for much longer."

She glared at him. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

He kept his back to her. "I thought what I said was quite clear. There shouldn't be any confusion."

There was a bout of silence before she grumbled. "Shouldn't be any confusion? Do you even hear yourse--"

"Don't forget the Gala in a couple weeks." He cut her off. He wasn't in the mood.

She whined. "Awe dear God is that really so soon?" She paused. "A couple weeks? Like which week exactly?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Frida." He scolded.

"What day?"

"Two weeks from Saturday."

"Damn, damn, damn." She winced and gnawed on her knuckle deep in thought. "That's going to be a problem."

He paused at his task. "Frida." He scolded. "Don't tell me you booked something because I told you about this months ago."

"I know, but I sort of paid and committed. I know it's last minute but Tish got tickets—"

"To what?"

"A concert. It's my all time favorite artist and a night out with the girls."

He grumbled. "The same girls you spent the last two months with? Come on Frida--"

"It's Ariba Grinder, Liam!"

He paused before he grumbled. He knew that was her favorite artist and she'd been talking about going to a concert but they're always sold out.

"Why can't you go with that Amanda chick?"

He rolled his eyes feeling the weight of annoyance in his chest. He knew that she hated these events, but he was out of options. "You mean Kim?"

"Yes, yes, call Kim." Her eyes lit up as she thought she found a way to weasel out.

He frowned heat rising in his chest. "She's never available this short of notice. You know that. Besides, you agreed to go with me."

"Call her up! You never know if you don't try. Offer her double, no triple the usual pay."

He pinched his nose. "Frida you committed. Not even sure why we're talking about this. Sorry, but you're going to have to cancel your plans."

She exhaled, exasperated as if he asked her to sell a kidney. There was a moment where he could see her mind working. She looked up at him and the corner of her mouth lifted making her look like she was up to no good.

Oh God, he thought. What was she about to blow up now?

"Why don't you ask Penny to go with you?"

He glared at his wife. "No." He wasn't sure why it came out so abrasive. He couldn't tell anyone why the mention of Penelope made him feel... well, he wasn't sure how he felt. The heat flowing through him must have been anger because he couldn't figure it any other way.