| 3 | Beggars Can Be Choosers ||

"So what were your thoughts on the Graylamp family?"

Penelope cringed at the thought. "Um, I don't think I can stomach drinking blessed goat's blood daily through the duration of my pregnancy."

Nancy laughed a little on the other end of the phone. "Yeah, that's been a hard one to place." She paused for a moment the sound of a pen scratching paper hit Penelope's ears. "How about Brogtrotter?"

"I will absolutely not agree to moving out to a compound somewhere in the middle of nowhere land."

"I placed two other women there and they had positive experiences."

"Listen, I have nothing against what they're doing, it's just not my thing."

"Understood. Well, we have one more call this afternoon don't we?"

"Mhm," She looked down her very short list of prospective families. After all the necessary testing and surveys and people viewing her profile and lining up video interviews with couples, she was ten days into the fourteen that she had to come up with another payment. The issue was, she wasn't sure if she could get herself to taking any of these people up on their offers. In the meantime, she was driving in the evenings, dog walking during the day, and doing hair for people under the table on Saturday mornings. She had to postpone a hair appointment that Saturday to get to talk to the next family. "The Rogans." Apparently the Mister was a traveling business man so it was difficult to get them together according to Nancy.

"Ah, yes. Nice couple. I think you'll like them. They're request is a little, um, strange, but you can let me know your thoughts once you finish up."

"Sounds good. Thank you Nancy."

"Sure thing!"

Several minutes lady Penelope was sitting in front of her phone waiting for the Rogans to pick up her call.

It took a moment for the video to display them. Penelope smiled when she saw the white couches and large fireplace in the background. Peeking behind the living room's side tables and soft seating was a view of the ocean.

"Well hello there Penelope." The pretty red-haired woman was smiling, showing off straight white teeth. Her cheeks were pink and lips painted a blush pink to match. "Oh, my gosh! Liam, come in here and see her. She's even prettier in person." The woman giggled a little. "Well, not in real person, but in virtual person. Compared to the pictures, which were nice too."

Penelope shifted in her chair. She felt mediocre that day, but that was okay.

"How are you doin' today?"

"Okay." Penelope answered. "Your self?"

"Oh, just perfect."

There was a slight silence where she heard a man's low voice speaking in the background, but she couldn't make out the entire conversation.

"I see an ocean view in the background. "That's got to be so beautiful this time of year."

"Oh yes. It's just heaven. You'll have to come up and see it. Of course once you're here with us you'll see it everyday." She let out a bell-like laugh. "Why don't we get started and Liam will join us in a minute."

"Sounds good."

"I'm assuming you looked over the contract."

"I did. There was a provision to stay with you two during the entire process up to two years depending on the length of time it takes to conceive."

"Yes, that was a little something I wanted to throw in there. I think it's important that I get to bond with my child while she's developing. So much is instilled in them at such a vulnerable stage."