authors note ⇢ context

EDIT (3/12/21): it has now been a month since i first posted this story, and so much about it has changed! i don't think this context A/N is necessary anymore, but i'll edit it and keep it up just in case <3

hey miraculous fans! thank you for clicking on my story! before we start, i will be posting this (eventually) to both Ao3 and wattpad so everyone can enjoy it. also, even though my authors notes may be casual and with auto caps off, the story will be correctly formatted with good grammar so don't worry! chapters are all between 2000-3000 words (usually landing at around 2,500) depending on the content, with the prologue being the shortest chapter. updates are bi-weekly (usually tuesday/wednesday and saturday/sunday) to assure the best content is being put out there!

additionally, this is an AU. obviously, the school setting has changed (sorry, francois dupont), and this school will work how i know traditional US performing arts schools work, just cause i'm sure the french do very different things. HOWEVER, THE CHARACTERS ARE STILL FRENCH! just not parisian, as they stay at the boarding school in paris. therefore, chloe is no longer the daughter of the mayor of paris, and marinette's parents no longer own "the best bakery in paris." obviously, those are small things, but things you should know nonetheless. however, because this is an AU, you might find that characters act a little differently, so this is also a heads up about that.

i think of the campus of this school like a classic college city campus, like NYU in america or sorbonne in paris. the buildings where instruction happens are large and nice, but the dorms are basically apartment-style because they are literally on a city block. the green space on campus consists of a few courtyards and a park where the students hang out.

i don't know if that all needed explanation (as the future me editing this, it definitely didn't), but i thought i'd give it!

in this universe, marinette and adrien will still be the ladybug and black cat miraculous holders, but fighting hawkmoth will take a backseat to their relationship, which will obviously be the A plot. the first few chapters will mainly be an adrinette focus, but marichat will definitely make a strong appearance in due time. the story will mostly come from marinette's perspective, with the occasional adrien chime in, because he's supposed to be ✨mysterious✨ and brooding.

i think the show in general would work a lot better if the characters were in their senior year—around seventeen—so that's what i'm going to do. again, i don't know exactly how french schooling works, so don't come for me about it please. i know they are in lycée (high school) and terminale is the last year of lycée, so those are terms i'll be throwing around a lot.

additionally, although things will be getting romantic, this story will be pretty much smut free. not saying that things won't get VERY angsty and touchy at times, but there will never be a chapter of adrinette, ladrien, marichat, ladynoir or ANY other ship we love just full on going at it in a dorm room, sorry to disappoint. basically, we're not getting much worse than TV-14. mature situations, language, and talk of sex, but no straight up sexy times. sorry for the rant, oh my GOSH i typed a lot.

if you have any questions, comment them HERE!

without further ado, let's get started! also, my miraculous tiktok is pretty much shadowbanned right now (and all the time), but you can follow @maddie.miraculous on tiktok if you're feeling my content :)