10- THE FIREBOLTS

Chapter 10: The Firebolts

Cassie didn't have a very clear idea of how she had managed to get back into the Honeydukes cellar, through the tunnel, and into the castle once more. All she knew was that the return trip seemed to take no time at all and that she hardly noticed what she was doing because her head was still pounding with the conversation she had just heard.

Harry still had a hold on her hand, leading her back to school.

Why had nobody ever told them? Dumbledore, Hagrid, Mr. Weasley, Cornelius Fudge... why hadn't anyone ever mentioned the fact that Harry's parents and Cassie's mother had died because their best friend had betrayed them?

Ron and Hermione watched Harry and Cassie nervously all through dinner, not daring to talk about what they'd overheard because Percy was sitting close by them. When they went upstairs to the crowded common room, it was to find Fred and George had set off half a dozen Dungbombs in a fit of end-of-term high spirits. Harry, who didn't want Fred and George asking them whether he'd reached Hogsmeade or not, grabbed Cassie and sneaked quietly up to his empty dormitory and headed straight for his bedside cabinet. He pushed his books aside and quickly found what he was looking for — the leather-bound photo album Hagrid had given him two years ago, which was full of wizard pictures of his mother and father. He sat down on his bed, drew the hangings around him, and started turning the pages, searching, until...

He stopped on a picture of his parents' wedding day. There was his father waving up at him, beaming, the untidy black hair Harry had inherited standing up in all directions. There was his mother, alight with happiness, arm in arm with his dad. And there... that must be him. Their best man... Harry had never given him a thought before.

Cassie looked at the picture not with sorrow, but with anger. She was mad that her father betrayed Harry's parents and killed her mother.

Harry slammed the album shut, reached over and stuffed it back into his cabinet, took off his robe and glasses, and got into bed, making sure the hangings were hiding him from view. Cassie got down next to him and just looked up at the ceiling, focusing on her breath.

The dormitory door opened.

"Harry? Cassie?" said Ron's voice uncertainly.

But Harry and Cassie lay still, pretending to be asleep. He heard Ron leave again and rolled over to look at Cassie.

Her face was unreadable. She had a stony expression and as she held her eyes closed, I tear leaked out of the corner of her eye.

Harry moved over and wrapped his arms around her in a comforting manner, which she gladly melted into the embrace.

She woke up the next morning still wrapped in Harry. Cassie looked at Harry before she left and noticed how peaceful he looked. When you dream, you can go anywhere you want but when you are awake, you are stuck in a hard reality.