17- THE CAT, RAT, AND DOG

Chapter 17: The Cat, Rat, and Dog

Slowly, in a kind of horrified trance, Harry, Cassie, Ron, and Hermione set off silently around Hagrid's house. As they reached the other side, the front door closed with a sharp snap.

"Please, let's hurry," Hermione whispered. "I can't stand it, I can't bear it..."

"You know what?" said Cassie. "I'm not taking this shit."

She swiftly moved past the window so nobody from inside Hagrid's cabin could see her, and made her way over to Buckbeak.

She untied his ropes as fast as she possibly could until she saw one of the people from inside the cabin look out the window. She hid behind a pumpkin until Fudge looked away.

She grabbed two dead ferrets and Buckbeaks rope. She threw one of the dead ferrets into the forest so Buckbeak would follow it. Once Buckbeak was in the forest, Cassie did what Hagrid did in their first lesson, and smacked him on his backside. He flew up in the air and out of sight. Breathing a sigh of relief. Cassie ran, crouched behind the enormous pumpkins, and back up to where Ron was signaling her.

"I can't believe you just did that," said Hermione. "Hagrid could get in trouble!"

"No he couldn't," said Cassie. "Fudge saw Buckbeak outside and Hagrid was inside the whole time so nobody could point fingers at Hagrid."

"Woah," said Ron.

They started up the sloping lawn toward the castle. The sun was sinking fast now; the sky had turned to a clear, purple-tinged gray, but to the west, there was a ruby-red glow.

Ron stopped dead.

"Oh, please, Ron," Hermione began.

"It's Scabbers — he won't — stay put —"

Ron was bent over, trying to keep Scabbers in his pocket, but the rat was going berserk; squeaking madly, twisting and flailing, trying to sink his teeth into Ron's hand.

"Scabbers, it's me, you idiot, it's Ron," Ron hissed.

They heard a door open behind them and men's voices.

"Oh, Ron, please let's move, they're going to know it was us if they see us!" Hermione breathed.

"Okay — Scabbers, stay put —"

They walked forward; Harry, like Hermione, was trying not to listen to the rumble of voices behind them.

Ron stopped again.

"I can't hold him — Scabbers, shut up, everyone'll hear us —"

The rat was squealing wildly, but not loudly enough to cover up the sounds drifting from Hagrid's garden. There was a jumble of indistinct male voices, a silence, and then, without warning, the unmistakable swish and thud of an axe.