39- THE FIRST TASK

Chapter 39: The First Task

On the day of the First Task, the atmosphere in the school was one of great tension and excitement. Lessons were to stop at midday, giving all the students time to get down to the dragons' enclosure — though of course, they didn't yet know what they would find there.

As Cassie walked the halls, she had to deal with everyone either wishing Harry good luck or hissing "We'll have a box of tissues ready, Potter " as they passed.

Cassie made sure to wish Cedric and Fleur good luck before they weren't able to see each other for the rest of the day. Cassie even wished Viktor Krum good luck when he was studying in the library the previous day.

Without realizing how fast the time flew by, Cassie seemed to be sitting down in her first lesson, History of Magic, and the next, walking into lunch . . . and then Professor McGonagall was hurrying over to Harry, who was sitting next to Cassie, in the Great Hall. Lots of people were watching.

"Potter, the champions have to come down onto the grounds now. . . . You have to get ready for your first task."

"Okay," said Harry, his fork falling onto his plate with a clatter.

"Good luck, Harry," Hermione whispered. "You'll be fine!"

"Yeah," said Harry in a voice that was most unlike his own.

"Don't worry Harry," said Cassie. "I bet you'll do great!"

"It's not like I have to battle a dragon or something," mumbled Harry as he got up.

Cassie and Hermione watched Harry go with matching faces of worry. After lunch was finished, the Professors brought the students out to the arena the task would take place in. Hermione and Cassie walked down in complete silence while the other student's conversations were booming around them. Once everyone sat down, a whistle had blown somewhere and Cassie saw Ludo Bagman running out from the Champions tent to the judging panel.

Seconds later, Cedric emerged from the tent and into the arena. The crowd roared as Cedric became face-to-face with the dragon, which was the Sweedish Short-Snout. Cedric started to run for the golden egg which the champions needed to retrieve, but the dragon threw its tail to block his way.

"Oooh, narrow miss there, very narrow," Bagman boomed from the judging panel.

Minutes, which seemed like hours later, Cedric ran forward and crouched behind a rock while the dragon breathed fire on where he previously was.

"He's taking risks, this one!" Bagman's voice echoed as the crowd, particularly the Hufflepuffs, cheered.

Then, Cedric cast a spell which made some rocks move to try and bait the dragon, but the dragon stood its ground.

"Clever move — pity it didn't work!"

After another five minutes, Cedric transfigured a rock into a dog to distract the dragon. While the dragon was occupied with the transfigured dog, Cedric ran and went for the egg but halfway through the dragon burned his face.