2- THE DEMENTOR

AN: 2022 August here, back to writing :)

Chapter 2: The Dementor

Cassie awoke the next morning to find Hermione looking over her.

"Wake up, Ron is getting Harry right now," Hermione said as she rubbed her eyes. 

Cassie slowly stood up and made her way to the bathroom. The door was locked and the shower was running. 

Immediately, she starts banging on the door, "Open up! I need to brush my teeth!"

The shower stopped and Cass could hear feet padding across the wooden floor. The door whipped open and Harry came rushing out, pulling on his blue shirt. 

"Sorry," he said with a meek smile. "My bathroom is out of order."

Cassie pushed past him, "you're fine, I've just got to do my teeth."

He stood in the same place, glancing around with frantic eyes. Cassie turned her head and gestured to the door. 

"See you down there," Harry offered before scampering out of the bedroom. 

Cassie finished brushing her teeth and got dressed. 

 Walking down the stairs, she nearly tripped before playing it off as nothing happened. She wandered toward the table nearest to the door where Arthur was reading the front page of the Daily Prophet with a furrowed brow and Molly was waving her over to listen to the story about how she made a love potion when she was younger.

Cassie didn't get the chance to thoroughly speak to Harry about what they had discovered the previous night, and it was really bothering her. Everyone was piling up their trunks near the door and getting their pets to calm down while Molly was fussing over Ginny. Hedwig and Hermes, Percy's owl, were perched on top of the pile in their cages, while a small wickerwork basket stood beside the heap of trunks, spitting loudly.

"It's alright, Crookshanks," Hermione whispered through the wickerwork. "I'll let you out on the train."

"You won't," snapped Ron. "What about poor Scabbers, eh? I don't want that ginger devil to murder him before even arriving at school," He pointed to his chest, where a large lump indicated that Scabbers was curled up in his pocket.

"Without context, I would think you were speaking about yourself, Ron," Cassie laughed.

"I'm no ginger devil-!"

"They're here!" Arthur said, watching the Ministry cars pull up to the Leaky. "Harry, Cassie, come with me."

Arthur marched Harry and Cassie across the short stretch of pavement toward the first of two old-fashioned dark green cars, each of which was driven by a furtive-looking wizard wearing a suit of emerald velvet.

"In the two of you go," Arthur said as he practically shoved them in the car. 

They got in the back of the car and were shortly joined by Ron, and, to Ron's disgust, Percy. Harry and Percy were up against the windows, while Ron and Cassie were in the middle. Because Ron wanted to get as far away from Percy as he could, Cassie was basically in Harry's lap. When she looked up at him, he had a slight redness to his cheeks, but she decided not to question it.

The journey to Kings Cross was very uneventful other than some awkward glances between Harry and Cassie that usually resulted in a competition as to who could avert their eyes faster. They reached Kings Cross with twenty minutes to spare; the Ministry drivers found them trolleys, unloaded their trunks, touched their hats to salute Arthur, and drove away.