16- THE CUP

Chapter 16: The Game

"Mount your brooms!" said Madam Hooch. "Three... two... one..."

The sound of her whistle was lost in the roar from the crowd as fourteen brooms rose into the air. Cassie felt her long french braids fly off her shoulders, behind her; her nerves left her in the thrill of the flight; she glanced around, saw Warrington on her tail, and sped off to start a play.

"And it's Gryffindor in possession, Cassie Black of Gryffindor with the Quaffle, heading straight for the Slytherin goal posts, looking good, Cassie! Argh, no — Quaffle intercepted by Warrington, Warrington of Slytherin tearing UP the field — WHAM! — nice Bludger work there by George Weasley, Warrington drops the Quaffle, it's caught by — Johnson, Gryffindor back in possession, come on, Angelina — nice swerve around Montague — duck, Angelina, that's a Bludger! Cassie's under you! Johnson passes to Black! Black is gaining on the hoops – SHE SCORES! TEN-ZERO TO GRYFFINDOR!"

Cassie punched the air as she soared around the end of the field; the sea of scarlet below was screaming its delight.

"OUCH!"

Cassie was nearly thrown from her broom as Marcus Flint went smashing into her.

"Sorry!" said Flint as the crowd below booed. "Sorry, didn't see her!"

"Yes you did, asshole!" yelled Cassie to Flint.

A moment later, Fred Weasley chucked his Beater's club at the back of Flint's head. Flint's nose smashed into the handle of his broom and began to bleed.

"Nice one, Freddie!" yelled Cassie to Fred.

"That will do!" shrieked Madam Hooch, zooming between then. "Penalty shot to Gryffindor for an unprovoked attack on their Chaser! Penalty shot to Slytherin for deliberate damage to their Chaser!"

"Come off it, Miss!" howled Fred, but Madam Hooch blew her whistle and Katie flew forward to take the penalty.

"Come on, Katie!" yelled Lee into the silence that had descended on the crowd. "YES! SHE'S BEATEN THE KEEPER! TWENTY-ZERO TO GRYFFINDOR!"

Harry turned the Firebolt sharply to watch Flint, still bleeding freely, fly forward to take the Slytherin penalty. Wood was hovering in front of the Gryffindor goal posts, his jaw clenched.

"'Course, Wood's a superb Keeper!" Lee Jordan told the crowd as Flint waited for Madam Hooch's whistle. "Superb! Very difficult to pass — very difficult indeed — YES! I DON'T BELIEVE IT! HE'S SAVED IT!"

"Way to show you believe in us, Lee!" yelled Cassie.

"Of course I believe in you, Cassie!"

Relieved, Harry zoomed away, gazing around for the Snitch, but still making sure he caught every word of Lee's commentary. It was essential that he hold Malfoy off the Snitch until Gryffindor was more than fifty points up —