13- THE GAME

Chapter 13: The Game

Cassie and Harry went down to breakfast the next morning with the rest of the boys in Harry's dormitory, all of whom seemed to think the Firebolts deserved a sort of guard of honor. As they entered the Great Hall, heads turned in the direction of the Firebolts, and there was a good deal of excited muttering. Cassie saw, with enormous satisfaction, that the Slytherin team were all looking thunderstruck.

"Did you see his face?" said Ron gleefully, looking back at Malfoy. "He can't believe it! This is brilliant!"

Wood, too, was basking in the reflected glory of the Firebolts.

"Put them here, Harry, Cassie," he said, laying the brooms in the middle of the table and carefully turning them so that their names faced upward. People from the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff tables were soon coming over to look. Cedric Diggory came over to congratulate Cassie and Harry on having acquired such a superb replacement for their old brooms, and Percy's Ravenclaw girlfriend, Penelope Clearwater, asked if she could actually hold one of the Firebolts.

"Now, now, Penny, no sabotage!" said Percy heartily as she examined the Firebolts closely. "Penelope and I have got a bet on," he told the team. "Ten Galleons on the outcome of the match!"

Penelope put the Firebolt down again, thanked Cassie, and went back to her table.

"Harry, Cassie — make sure you win," said Percy, in an urgent whisper. "I haven't got ten Galleons. Yes, I'm coming, Penny!"

And he bustled off to join her in a piece of toast.

"Sure you can manage that broom, Potter?" said a cold, drawling voice.

Draco Malfoy had arrived for a closer look, Crabbe, and Goyle right behind him.

"Yeah, reckon so," said Harry casually.

"Got plenty of special features, hasn't it?" said Malfoy, eyes glittering maliciously. "Shame it doesn't come with a parachute — in case you get too near a Dementor."

Crabbe and Goyle sniggered.

"Pity you can't attach an extra arm to yours, Malfoy," said Harry. "Then it could catch the Snitch for you."

Cassie, along with the rest of the Gryffindor team laughed loudly.

Malfoy's pale eyes narrowed, and he stalked away. They watched him rejoin the rest of the Slytherin team, who put their heads together, no doubt asking Malfoy whether Harry and Cassie's brooms really were a Firebolts.

At a quarter to eleven, the Gryffindor team set off for the locker rooms. The weather couldn't have been more different from their match against Hufflepuff. It was a clear, cool day with a very light breeze; there would be no visibility problems this time, and Cassie, though nervous, was starting to feel the excitement only a Quidditch match could bring. They could hear the rest of the school moving into the stadium beyond. Cassie took off her black school robes and put her wand in her boot, where it was easily accessible. She only hoped she wouldn't need it. She hoped her godfather was in the crowd, cheering her on.