34- THE PARCHMENT

Chapter 34: The Parchment

The decorations in the Great Hall had changed this morning. As it was Halloween, a cloud of live bats was fluttering around the enchanted ceiling, while hundreds of carved pumpkins leered from every corner.

Cassie led the way over to Dean and Seamus, who were discussing those Hogwarts students of seventeen or over who might be entering.

"There's a rumor going around that Warrington got up early and put his name in," Dean told Cassie. "That big bloke from Slytherin who looks like a sloth."

Cassie, who had played Quidditch against Warrington, shook her head in disgust.

"We can't have a Slytherin champion!" said Ron.

"And all the Hufflepuffs are talking about Diggory," said Seamus contemptuously. "But I wouldn't have thought he'd have wanted to risk his good looks."

"Hey!" said Cassie, swatting at Seamus's arm.

"Listen!" said Hermione suddenly.

People were cheering out in the entrance hall. They all swiveled around in their seats and saw Angelina Johnson coming into the Hall, grinning in an embarrassed sort of way. Angelina came over to them, sat down, and said, "Well, I've done it! Just put my name in!"

"You're kidding!" said Ron, looking impressed.

"Are you seventeen, then?" asked Harry.

" 'Course she is, can't see a beard, can you?" said Ron.

"I had my birthday last week," said Angelina.

"Well, I'm glad someone from Gryffindor's entering," said Hermione.

"I really hope you get it, Angelina!" said Cassie.

"Thanks, Cass," said Angelina, smiling at her.

"Yeah, better you than Pretty-Boy Diggory," said Seamus, causing several Hufflepuffs passing their table to scowl heavily at him.

"Shut up," said Cassie.

"What is it?" said Seamus, grinning smugly. "Don't want to ruin your chances with Pretty-Boy Diggory?"

Cedric looked over and blushed at Cassie.

"Shove it in a hole, Seamus," said Cassie, hiding her face in her hands.

"I guess she doesn't want to ruin her chances, eh, Harry?" he said to Harry whose jaw was clenched.

Ron, who was oblivious to the tension, broke the silence.

"What're we going to do today, then?"

"We haven't been down to visit Hagrid yet," said Harry.

"Okay," said Ron, "just as long as he doesn't ask us to donate a few fingers to the skrewts."