No Fun in Funeral 🥀 Mixed DRLAMP

TW: MAJOR CHARACTER DEATH; Virgil, Suicide, Self-Harm, Alcohol, Drugs, Crying, Talk of Finding the Body
cw: Sympathetic Janus, Sympathetic Remus, cursing (a lot of it too)

relationships: platonic drlamp, romatic analogical (mentioned), one-sided dukexity (mentioned), mociet (implied)

please take care of yourselves and don't read this if any of the above triggers you. i love you guys, stay safe <3

lmao kinda died for a while, still kinda dead. i have so much school work and this is what i spend my time on. i don't know how i'm not failing. anyways enjoy and heed the tw's and cw's :)

*~*

Virgil always said he put the fun in funeral, but this was not fun in the least bit. Nobody wanted to look at Virgil's picture in fear of completely breaking down, Remus had already smoked half a pack of cigarettes- a few were shared with Logan-, Janus had already had a quarter of a wine bottle and snuck off a few times with Patton to go sob in private, and Roman was dead silent and beyond spaced out. Needless to say it was not a fun time.

Technically it wasn't really a funeral, not in the technical sense. The service was just held at Patton's home. Janus warned him that it would only make Patton sadder for longer about the loss but no one really wanted to fight him. He had lost who he had practically considered to be his son and honestly, everyone understood exactly what he felt. To be fair they'd probably host it at another person's home in the party, Patton just offered first.

Virgil's body wasn't even in a casket in the house. He had always said that he wanted his body donated to scientists so they could salvage what still worked in his body. Everyone found it a morbid subject but Remus always had fun talking about it with Virgil.

"How would you want your funeral?"

"I don't know, maybe just something casual- either that or something along the lines of an Irish wake or some shit."

"Nice. I'd want my ashes to be in a jar in the front of the room with a little note for people to read after the food that just says 'now you carry a little part of me with you everywhere'."

"Pfft yeah, if your dumbass would remember to write the note."

*~*

"We are gathered here today to celebrate the life of Virgil Sanders, a son, a friend, a lover," Patton spoke through teary eyes, Logan looking away to discreetly wipe away his tears. "We all- ahem- we all have wonderful memories with him, we- I- I'm sorry I can't do this." Patton wiped his eyes and walked out of the room, the tail end of a sob catching everybody's ears.

The walls of the usually bright and lively house seemed tinted grey. The lamps felt too bright and the sun wasn't doing its job. The carpet felt itchy and the wooden floor was freezing despite it being July and 93 degrees outside.

Several stale seconds passed before Janus huffed and stood up, fixing his jacket and walking to the door. Everyone's eyes followed him as he took a glass from the table by the door and slipped on his boots.

"Where do you think you're going?" Roman asked, turning around from where he was sitting. Janus sighed and brought the wine up to his mouth, taking a long sip.

"I'm going out to relax." He said, a haze clouding his eyes as he opened the front door and walked out. Remus blinked at the door for a moment before standing up and following Janus out, closing the door and taking out a box of what should have been cigarettes- but was now filled with a blunt or two- from his pocket. Logan put his head into his hands and leaned forward onto his knees.