𝐭𝐰𝐨.

Joel's eyes rested on the Witcher's back as she slept.

Tommy had quickly fell asleep once he had returned to camp after his chat with the woman by the river. He had managed to get about five hours sleep before she had woke him up. He could tell she was a very light sleeper as she frequently awoke whenever there was even the slightest noise made by an animal, but she would quickly fall back asleep after.

It almost saddened him, because it was obvious she was that way from living on her own and having to rely on herself to wake up if there was imminent threat. He had somewhat experienced it for himself when he was travelling across the country with Ellie and even being by himself for a time in Boston before he met Tess, but he couldn't even begin to imagine what is was like being completely alone in the wild for so many years.

Despite his sympathy, he mostly admired her for such strength and resilience. He had so many questions but he knew better than to pry. He then wondered where she'd go once he and Tommy would begin making their way back to Jackson.

The sky was beginning to brighten and the fire was reduced to embers. Joel prodded it, hoping to warm up some of the canned beans in his pack.

As soon as he moved, the woman across from him stirred. She took a deep breath in and rolled onto her back.

"Anything to report?" She asks, her eyes still closed.

"Nothing but the fact I'm looking forward to going home." Joel grumbles. She hums, the corner of her lips twitching. She then slowly rises to her feet and stretches.

"Want some breakfast?" He asks.

"Uh... maybe once I get back." She says, pulling her jacket on.

"From where?" He furrows his brows, looking up at her confused.

"I'm going to look for your horses." She straps her sword across her back in its sheath. "We're gonna need them if we want to travel at little more at speed. Especially with Tommy's leg."

She nods down at his younger brother who was beginning to wake up.

"Well if you give us a moment we can eat and come with you." Joel stands.

"No, I can get in and out of town much quicker alone. You stay here with him." She stares him down.

Tommy rubs his eyes and sits up. When he looks up he finds the two looking like they were having a stand-off, only Joel wasn't looking like he wished to challenge her. He was also surprised to see the Witcher without her disguise.

"What's goin' on?" He asks. Joel glancing back at him but the woman's gaze still remained on the older man.

"I just need you to point on the map where you left your horses." She finally speaks again, pulling out a folded map from her pack on the ground and now glancing between the two of them.

Joel sighs deeply and steps forward to take to map from her. He refused to meet her gaze as he unfolded it and scanned the area. When he finally works it out he points.

"Here. We had left them in the backyard of one of the houses on this street." He explains as she moves to look over his shoulder. "If they haven't been found by those Ravens or infected, or simply bolted, they should still be there."

She nods, taking the map back. "If they're not there, I'll be able to track them."

She puts the map away and straps her pack over her shoulders before pulling out her mask to loop it over her ears. "I shouldn't be long, two hours at most. Don't leave here unless you have no choice to." She says before then pulling up her hood and marching away, back towards town.