𝐎𝐧 𝐦𝐲 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐨𝐮𝐫.

𝐂𝐈𝐑𝐈.

We held our arms up over our eyes as we tried to navigate through the storm.

Joel had managed to get Ellie up and out of the restaurant while I'd taken care of David, but there was no doubt in my mind that she'd heard his screams while she was swept up into Joel's arms.

I wish I had gotten there sooner. I know that whatever David had put her through will have scarred her, even if she wasn't the one who had to hold the handle of a weapon and put an end to the torture.

And that became evident when we found shelter in some little farmhouse after walking a good distance in the raging winter storm. She was curled up on the bed in the downstairs bedroom while I perched on the edge, staring down at her bruised and cut face while she stared off into nothing.

I reach out to brush her hair out her face and behind her ear. Her eyes fluttered shut at the action. "I knew you'd find me." She mumbles to me.

I smile weakly at her. "I'll always come and find you, mon bonheur - no matter where you are..."

I lean down to lightly kiss her forehead before standing up. "Now try and get some rest."

Before I can turn away, she gently grabs my hand to stop me. "Did you find any batteries?"

I furrow my brows for a second and then realise what she was talking about. "Oh yeah, actually, I did." I walk over to my bag in the doorway and pull out a couple batteries after rifling through my stuff.

"Here." I drop them into her hand and she mutters a 'thank you' before leaning over the bed to pull out her Walkman.

"You're welcome, my love."

I knew she'd been desperate for some batteries so she could listen to her own music, and unfortunately the ones in mine had died too. But now I can see a little spark in her eyes return when she put her earbuds in and the music started to fill her ears.

I smile softly as she gets comfortable under the sheets and I carefully pull the door to but not shutting it entirely.

As usual, I wander the house, wondering where Joel has got to. When I walk up the stairs, I find a small study room in front of me at the top and my eyes immediately fall on the piano in the corner. I naturally smile at the sight, but I find myself sorely disappointed when I discover it's a digital piano.

"You've got to be kidding me..." I sigh. It needed electricity to work. So, it looks like I'll be missing out this time.

But just when I thought I wasn't going to get to play something, I turn around to see an acoustic guitar leaning against the wall behind me. Well, if I can't play it on piano then I can do a guitar version.

I pick it up and tune it, sitting down at the desk against the back wall as I do. The strings were very old and desperately needed changing but still sounded pretty good.

"Look into my eyes,
And you will see
What you mean to me.
Search your heart,
Search your soul,
And when you find me there
You'll search no more.

"Don't tell me it's not worth tryin' for
You can't tell me it's not worth dyin' for.
You know it's true,
Everything I do
I do it for you."

I let out a heavy sigh. It had been a long time since I'd dared to play mine and Peter's song. I felt surprised that I hadn't had a meltdown just playing the first few notes. I guess I was just that exhausted, but despite everything that has happened up until now, I felt a sense of inner peace with it.