𝐈 𝐬𝐞𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐝.

𝐂𝐈𝐑𝐈.

"Alright, come on down."

Ellie and I lift our rifles off the scaffolding and stand up from our crouched positions.

"To say it's your first time with a real rifle, you were mighty impressive." I grin in amazement. "I think you might be a better shot than Joel." I then joke but I was now thinking it wasn't much of an exaggeration.

I have genetic mutations that made me a pretty good shot even at a very early age, as well as having been taught by someone with extensive army training and experience.

I'd say it's far more impressive to be a good shot without either mutations or major fighting experience.

"I'll make sure to tell him you said that." She grins mischievously at me.

"I think he might have a fit if you do." She agrees and we share a short laugh as we head down.

I walked behind Ellie as we rejoined Joel in the middle of the courtyard. I watched him pick up the pistol from the hunter lying in front of him, and I think already knew what was going on in his head.

Ellie approached him slowly. "How'd I do?"

I'd be happy to tell her his opinion didn't matter but I knew Joel wouldn't have given her the rifle if had he not trusted her to cover him in the first place. And I partly can't blame her for wanting part of his approval.

He only silently nods in response, taking the rifle from her and examines the small gun in his hand.

"How 'bout somethin' a... little more your size." He holds it out to her.

He pulls it back slightly when she goes to take it. "It's for emergencies only."

"Okay."

She secures it in the waistband of her jeans and shares a look with Joel before heading forwards.

The smuggler looks to me for my reaction or thoughts. I send a smile and a wink of approval as I walk past, following Ellie to the other side of the courtyard.

"Now, the safety's on. Do you know how to switch it off?" He asks over me to the teen ahead. The slight stutter and hesitancy in his voice was clear.

"I do."

"Okay, you just... you gotta respect it. This is not-"

I send him a look as Ellie cuts him off, "Joel. I'll be careful."

He sighs as he meets my eyes.

'She'll be fine.' I mouth to him. He nods and we look to a shutter door into a garage for our way through.

Joel goes ahead and lifts it up. "Alright, Ellie. Do your thing."

She used a trolley to wedge the door open and let us through without the risk of it being dropped on us. When we climbed through to the next room, we heard the noise of a truck and people running.

"Get down!" Joel whispers harshly and we duck beneath the window.

From the other side, I listen to the pants and footsteps of a couple before they're shot. The truck pulls up beside them as the woman is still crying out. I felt the urge to go out there, but it was clear that Joel had noticed and got a tight hold on my arm.

He shakes his head at me with a hard look.

"No!" Another loud gunshot goes off and the three of us jump. The woman's crying had stopped and the two hunters that had climbed out of the truck search her body.