𝐁𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐢𝐬𝐦 𝐨𝐟 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐞.

"Don't you think it's a bit strange that they're having us do their smugglin'?"

"Marlene wanted to do it herself. We weren't their first choice, or the second for that matter. She's lost a lot of men. Beggars can't be choosers."

Ellie stands between the two smugglers awkwardly as they talk. She wondered if Marlene had told Tess about the original plans for getting her to the Fireflies and her question becomes answered when Tess turned on the girl.

"Is it true that the Witcher was meant to be escortin' you?"

Ellie slowly nods. "Yeah... I met her a week ago with Marlene. It was a little intense but the Witcher actually agreed to it, then... she hadn't turned up so I think that's why she asked you guys to do it."

They enter the room with the lift, where Joel starts the generator.

"That's what Marlene said to me, but I thought it was strange she hadn't turned up because just hours ago the Witcher had showed up when I got jumped by some assholes and she'd left in a hurry."

"Perhaps she was in a hurry for somethin' else." Joel murmurs as he joins them on the lift.

"Hm, maybe..."

"Who's waiting' for us at the drop off?"

"She said there's some Fireflies that have traveled all the way from another city. Girl must be important for them to come out here and for Marlene to want the Witcher to escort her..." Tess looks at the teenager who nervously avoids her gaze.

"What is the deal with you? You some big-wig's daughter or something?"

"Something like that."

They made it outside and trudged through the trench in the rain and towards a large truck that provided a way out of it.

"Holy shit... I'm actually outside."

Tess frequently glanced behind them and Ellie noticed.

"What is it?"

The woman hums unsurely. "Not sure... though I'd heard something before we went down in the lift."

"Like what?"

"Like someone had entered the apartment just as we left. Could be just my imagination."

"You think someone might be following us?"

"Possibly... but I sincerely hope not."

They reached the truck and Joel was the first to climb into the back. "Up this way."

Tess and Ellie followed close behind, only to be stunned when a soldier appears and knocks Joel down. Another soldier had caught them from behind and aimed their weapon at them.

"Don't do anything stupid."

They throw their hands up and make their way out before being forced onto their knees.

"You scan 'em. I'll call it in."

"Put your hands on your head."