𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.

Six weeks later

Scott was holding his baby daughter in his arms when he answered to door to Ciri and Joel. He welcomed them in and offered a drink but the two of them declined.

Katherine was settled on their sofa in the living room under blankets and with pillows propped under her head and shoulders.

Ciri entered the room and smiled at the woman.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like I pushed another human out of me." She smiled tiredly, making Ciri chuckle.

It had been two days since their daughter, who they named Sadie, was born. Since she'd helped get the medicine that she needed and Ciri had become well acquainted with Scott as they frequently see each other and talk at the gates when they'd leave for patrol, Ciri decided to pay them a visit.

She'd also been seeing Katherine around more often as she'd recovered from her sickness and had been taking short walks around the town. She'd thanked Ciri profusely for helping save her and her baby.

After attending the women's get together one more time, even after her previous experience, she became properly acquainted with Katherine. Her and Scott are a similar age to her and Ciri liked Katherine's sense of humour and attitude, so they spoke often whenever they crossed each other.

"It beats being sick and heavily pregnant." Katherine adds.

"I bet it does."

Ciri almost couldn't keep her eyes off of Sadie as she lay peacefully in her father's arms, and Scott noticed.

"You want to hold her?" He asks.

"May I?"

"Of course."

Joel watched with a small smile on his face as Ciri carefully took the newborn baby into her arms with a light in her eyes.

"Oh wow." She breathed. "This is a strange feeling."

The couple smiled, knowing just what she meant.

"It's instant love, isn't it?" Katherine says.

Ciri nods, smiling down at Sadie as she laid peacefully with her eyes closed.

The four chatted between each other for a while and Ciri took Sadie over to Katherine as she was due to be fed. As Ciri sat with Katherine, Joel and Scott were talking in the kitchen as Joel accepted a drink after a while and they watched the women through the kitchen serving window that looked into the living room.

"She'll be getting her own ideas of a family now." Scott teased the older man with a nudge of his elbow.

Joel sighs slightly, as it was clear that Scott thought they were a couple. "Oh we ain't together."

Scott looked surprised. "Really? You're kidding."

He chuckles lightly and shakes his head. "I'm not."

"Well, you had me fooled. I swear you're never apart."

"We're just good friends... that's all."

"I think 'good' might be putting it lightly, old timer."

Joel hums and nods along.

"They're talking about you back there." Katherine utters to Ciri as she held Sadie close to her chest as she fed her.

She'd noticed Scott's teasing and Joel giving Ciri a longing look.

Ciri nods without glancing back at the window into the kitchen. She had listened to parts of their conversation while simultaneously talking with Katherine.