𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.

Joel strode up the road. It was early morning and he was heading for his wall duties. He was partly dreading it since Ellie was now being put on farming rotations while he would remain on wall duties. Today he was paired up with Esther - alone.

He knew Ciri was right and he would have to break it to the woman that he didn't see her the same way she saw him. He just had to find the right moment to do it. He reckoned it wouldn't be long until she would ask if he wanted to have dinner or something with her, so he thought that would be the best time.

As he thought about it, he spotted the redhead with a group of others by the stables. Past them was Tommy and Ciri preparing their horses for their patrol, so he made a straight beeline for them. However, Esther had noticed him walking past and called out his name to stop him. He closed his eyes as he let out a sigh before turning around and forcing a smile.

"Morning Esther."

"Good morning! You ready for today's shift?" She beams at him.

"Yeah, I suppose so." He glances over to Ciri and Tommy.

She doesn't miss it. "How was your movie night?"

"It was good." He unconsciously begins to smile as he looks back over to Ciri and watches her as Tommy was laughing at a comment she made.

Esther sees the way he is looking at her and impulsively asks: "Ain't she a little young for you?"

His head shoots back to face her and he furrows his brows. "What're you talkin' about?"

"Ciri - she quite a bit younger than you. Doesn't that bother you?"

He lets out a breathy laugh and shakes his head. "No, no. It ain't like that - me and Ciri are just friends." He then begins to frown. "Even so... Ciri's 32. She ain't that young."

Esther felt a sense of embarrassment but Joel noticed the look of relief on her face when he had said him and Ciri weren't romantically involved.

"Oh I didn't mean to be rude, I just wanted to ensure I wasn't intruding on whatever might be going on between you two... I don't want to be some homewrecker." She sheepishly smiles as she brings her hands up slightly in a mock surrender.

Joel sighs deeply. "Look... Esther, whether or not there is something between me and Ciri - it doesn't matter - I know you have a uh... particular interest in me, and I'm flattered, but nothing is going to happen between you and me."

Her face falls as he finishes his confession.

"I'm sorry but I just don't feel the same way that you do."

She slowly nods and forces a smile. "Of course, that's absolutely fine. I-I'm sorry if I caused any bother."

She turns around and begins to walk away and Joel lets out another sigh. He thinks about how he probably should have left it until they finished there shift but he reminded himself that it was better sooner than later.

He looked back over towards the gates where Ciri was preparing to mount up but she turned her head to catch his eyes and she begins to smile. Joel immediately feels his guilt over Esther wash away and he smiles back as his feet begin to carry himself over to her without any thought.

Since she'd had her haircut, Ciri decided to wear her hair down more. Today she'd swept back the top half of her hair and tied it back while leaving the rest of it down. It reminded Joel of Tess and how she wore her hair with her bandana.

There's been moments when Ciri made a comment and the way she spoke sometimes reminded him of Tess. They weren't the same by any means but it made him miss his old partner.