𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞.

The Witcher did as the brothers wished and stayed the night in Jackson.

During that evening they'd brought her things to the house as she'd left them with Apollo at the stables. Joel suggested a movie night but was reminded by Ellie that he'd promised her a guitar lesson once he'd got back from their trip. The Witcher insisted he spent time with the girl after being gone for four days and that she'll be fine on her own.

They'd also got her some food which she ate at the table in the kitchen by the patio doors. She was lost deep in thought as she sat in the house by herself. Lost in thought a lot more than usual but still hyper-aware of all the sounds she could hear from the people of Jackson nearby and in the distance.

In the morning she sat in the dining chair with her knees pulled up to her chest as she watched the daylight light up the garden. She wished she had a hot drink to cradle in her hands.

She turned her head towards the hallway. The kitchen lied directly behind the living room so she couldn't see the front door from where she sat, but she heard the footsteps walking up the street and towards her porch. She waited for the knock at the door before she rose to her feet.

She turned the handle and opened it to see Joel with a warm smile on his face. "Mornin'."

"Morning." She smiled back at him.

"I've brought breakfast." He raises his hand with a carrier bag full of stuff. "Beans, eggs and bacon. Just needs cookin', you fancy it?"

"Sure thing, but only if you let me cook it."

She steps back and lets him in. He frowns at her a little, "Why? Don't you trust me to do it?"

"Tommy mentioned to me last night that you were a terrible cook because you always burned the food." She smirks.

He opened his mouth to argue but then huffs with a look of defeat. "Well... he ain't wrong but I just thought I'd do you the favour."

She takes the bag from him and leads him to the kitchen. "That's nice of you but we don't want to waste good food do we?"

"I guess not." He grumbles as he follows her. "But I at least don't burn oatmeal anymore, so I'm not that bad."

The woman chuckles.

"Anyway, Maria told me that Katherine is doing a little better since we gave her the medicine yesterday." He then says.

"Really? That's good to hear."

"Yeah... it's thanks to you." He adds.

She lets out a breath through her nose as she smiles and shakes her head lightly.

"So, how come you're not having breakfast with Ellie?" She asks as she begins to pull out the ingredients on the counter.

"She had to rise early for her wall duties. I have the day off since we came back from our trip, and Tommy's taking it easy with his leg of course." He explains, taking a seat at the table by the doors as he watches her move around the kitchen.

"So what you gonna do with the day off?" She asks as she turns the stove on and places the pan on it.

"There's a music store not that far from here. Thinkin' of riding over there to check it out." He leans back in his seat and folds his arms across his chest.

"You going alone?" She looks over her shoulder at him.

"Well, I was gonna ask if you'd like to join me. We can both get to know the area more."