Chapter 7: Some Summer Fun

It was one week before school started and Snape dropped me off at the Leaky Cauldron in London for the last week of my summer vacation. He had to head to Hogwarts today, but I had to take the train in a week.

I settled into my room, flopping on my bed because I was exhausted. Snape had me on a strict eating regime. I was only allowed to eat once every two weeks, and I could only hunt once a month. That makes for a total of three blood meals per month. Not for the next week, though. I was Snape free and could hunt to my heart's content. I was thinking about the best places to hunt when I fell asleep.

I woke up the next day and headed out onto the streets of London. The streets were packed with adults hurrying to their jobs, cars rushing down the roads, many honking angrily, and some stray dogs scavenging for food. I spent the whole day wandering the streets staking out a good place to wait for prey. I found an alley that was close to a bar. And where there is a bar, there are confused, drunk people. 

Perfect.

One night, I sat on the fire escape of the apartments in the alleyway. It took until well past midnight before a man and a woman came stumbling into the alley. The man pushed the woman up against the wall and they began making out. Before things went much further I jumped down from my perch and tackled the man to the ground. I snapped his neck in one fluid motion, got up, and turned to the woman. Before she had time to scream my fangs were digging into her neck.

I have never been able to explain it, but digging my fangs into the flesh of a human has a calming effect. Draining a body of blood feels right. Once I drained the woman of all her blood I let go of her body. It went limp and slumped to the ground. I contemplated eating the man but decided the police would be more confused if they died of different causes.

The hardest part of the night was sneaking into my room. I couldn't go through the front door because I was covered in blood, so I had to sneak in through the window. My room was on the third floor. I had to scale the building without being seen by anyone who might still be on the streets. Once safely in my room, I got ready to fall asleep. I settled into the bed and closed my eyes. Happy and full for the first time in a while.

On the last day of my stay in the Leaky Cauldron, I realized I spent my entire time hunting. I needed to get my books today or I would have some very angry professors at Hogwarts. I walked down Diagon Alley happier than I have been in months. I had a full stomach and still had one more night of freedom. I entered Flourish and Blotts with my list of books. I handed the list to the worker. He brought me my books. I began walking back to the Leaky Cauldron when another store caught my eye. Magical Menagerie, a pet store.

I always contemplated getting an owl. It might be easier to write to Draco over the summer if both of us had an owl. Just using his owl could be pretty slow at times. I walked into the store and noticed the only two people who knew my secret. Ron and Harry.

Ron was talking with the worker about his rat. His rat smelled weird, it smelled more human than rat-like. Harry, however, glanced in my direction, going wide-eyed when he saw me. He nudged Ron.

"Ron it's her." He whispered. I could only hear him because of my vampire abilities. Ron turned to glance at me, his eyes widening as well. 

"What should we do Harry." The nerves in his voice were unmistakable. Not to mention he reeked of anxiety now. My smelling was better because of all the eating I have done this week and the anxiety burned my nostrils.

Relax, I'm not going to hurt you. That is as long as you haven't told anyone. I spoke into their minds and nodded towards Hermione, who was checking out some owls.

She can speak into our minds, that's terrifying. I heard Ron think.

Is she talking about Hermione? We haven't told her, but what if she thinks we did. We are so dead. I was hoping she would have been gone this year. Harry thought. I couldn't understand why they were so scared. We are in a crowded store, with no less than six grown wizards in here. I would never attack them.