Chapter Sixteen: Christmas Day

Kirito woke up to the sound of his sister knocking on his door and then opening it. "Kazuto! Come on get up! You can't sleep in today!" She yelled before making a beeline for the stairs. The onyx haired boy smiled to himself before making his way out of bed.

He ruffled his hair and threw on a shirt before he made his way downstairs to join his sister and his mother. "Kazuto open this one first!" Suguha said as she shoved her present into her brother's hands. Kirito smiled at how excited his little sister was as he tore through the wrapping paper. It was a laptop holder, with a cup holder and a charger for his phone built into it, there was also a light built in for when he was reading textbooks. He smiled and pat his sisters head. "Thanks Sugu, this is great, now I never have to get out of bed!" He said with a smirk.

"I told you he'd say that." Midori said as she shook her head at her son. "I'm just kidding mom. Here Sugu, open yours." Kirito said as he reached out and grabbed his present from under their tree. He handed it to the kendo champion and watched as she opened it. Her deep green eyes sparkled with excitement as she laid her eyes on a brand new kendo stick case. "Oooooh....." she said as she inspected it.

"Open it." Kirito pushed, and Suguha blinked at him curiosly before opening the case. "Oh wow! This is awsome!" She said as she stood with a sword that replicated the one she used in a game she played often, Alfheim. "Thank you so much Kazuto!" Suguha squealed as she tackled her brother in a hug. "Y-you're welcome sis...ugh.. just... don't crush me to death..." Kirito gasped.

Suguha smiled and let go of her brother. Then they both turned their attention to their mother.

"Here you two." Midori said with an excited smile. The two of them took a box each from their mother and opened them. Inside was a system called Augma. "No way!" Suguha squealed as she stared at the box. "Mom....you shouldn't have. " Kirito said as stared at his own. "It's fine, I saved up for them." Midori said with a sheepish smile.

After their mother opened her presents from the both of them, which was a new houseboat, and some new books they thought she'd like, they all got up and went and made breakfast together. Kirito quickly grabbed his phone and texted his group of friends.

Kirito: Merry Christmas guys! :D

Eugeo: Merry Christmas 🎄

Alice: Merry Christmas! ❤

Liz: Merry Christmas! :P

Asuna: Merry Christmas

Kirito smiled to himself as he glanced back towards the living room where his present for Asuna was hidden under the tree. He couldn't wait to give it to her later on. With that thought in mind he continued his Christmas morning with his mother and sister.

Asuna on the other hand, had a very different morning.

She woke up at her regular time and crawled out of bed, put on a pair of black leggings and a white sweater dress before making her way downstairs. Her mother was sitting at the table. coffee in hand, reading a book. When she heard her daughters footsteps enter the diningroom she turned her head to acknowledge her. "Merry Christmas." She said as she watched her sit across the table from her. "Merry Christmas." She answered. "Wheres father?" Asuna asked as she looked around the room. "He's in his office, he'll be by shortly." Her mother answered.

They both waited awhile until finally Asuna's father entered the dining room. "Merry Christmas sweet heart." He said as he kissed the top of Asuna's head. A rare gesture for him to make, Asuna smiled back at her father. "Merry Christmas dad." She responded. The maid entered the room with breakfast in hand. She placed the food infront of the three and bowed before leaving.

"So, how are my girls doing hm?" Asunas father, Shouzou asked. Kyouko look to her husband and smiled. "I'll be much better once we're on our vacation next week." She replied simply. Asuna looked at them both with a confused face. Her father picked up on it and stuttered out, "a-ah it's my Christmas present to your mother. We're going to go away for awhile. Nothing too fancy." He said.

Asuna nodded in understanding. She didn't have to ask why she wasn't included, her parents would never get in the way of her schooling by taking her on a trip. Her education was too important. "You both work so hard all the time, it'll be nice to see you relaxing." Asuna said with a small smile. Kyouko agreed by nodding her head as she took a sip of her coffee.

Shouzou leaned forward and placed a box in front of Asuna. "Of course we wouldn't forget about you sweetheart." He said as he settled back into his chair. Asuna smiled and thanked her parents before opening the box. Inside was a white headset, she looked at the name ingraved on the inside of the ear piece.

"Augma...?" She questioned aloud. She remembered seeing them in ads awhile ago. She thought they would be super useful for many different reasons, but she didn't think she'd end up actually getting one herself.

"It's very useful for easy communication and very good for studying materials, toy can download all your textbooks on it and read that instead of flipping through a book." Her mother explained. She smiled. "Thank you both. I'm sure it'll be very useful, I'll make good use of it." She smiled as she closed the box again and continued her morning with her parents.

It was very rare for all 3 of them to spend time together as a family. So Asuna did enjoy the small talk they all made with one another, even if it was mostly about school, career choices, and her parents talking to one another about their own work. Eventually both of her parents had to get back to their work, leaving Asuna alone once again.

She went back up to her room, when her phone rang in her hand. She looked at the screen before a smile broke out on her face.

She clicked accept and put the phone up to her ear.
"Hello Kouichirou, Merry Christmas!" She exclaimed happily. She heard her brother chuckle on the other end of the line before replying. "Hey sis, Merry Christmas." She felt her heart warm at hearing her brother's voice after so long.
"Mom and dad go back to work yet?" He asked, although he already knew the answer. "Yea... they're busy as usual." Asuna said as a sigh escaped her lips. "Don't be too hard on them Asu, they work hard for our futures after all." He reasoned. "I know, I guess I just miss us all having Christmas together. Will you be coming home?" She asked.

There was silence on the other line for a moment before she heard her brother sigh. "Well.... the thing is...." he said and Asunas heart sank. That is until she heard the front door open. She ran out of her room and down the stairs, and sure enough, in the entrance. Her brother stood.

"I already am home." He said as he hung up the phone.
"Welcome home." Asuna said before she walked over and hugged her older brother. He hugged her back and then pulled away as he heard footsteps coming from the hallway.

"Kouichirou?" Both Shouzou and Kyouko said.
"Hey mom, dad, I decided to make the trip home for today. I'll be leaving again tomorrow morning don't worry." He said before they could argue.

Their father sighed before he came and grabbed his son in a hug. "It's nice to see you son, you're doing well in Europe." He concluded. Kouichirou looked to his mother, and walked towards her. "I'm home mom." He said with a smile. Kyouko only smiled softly and placed her hand on her son's cheek. "I hope you've been eating well... you're so slim." She said bluntly. Kouichirou gave a strained smile, then the Yuuki family made their way to the living room.