Chapter Thirteen: No Place Like Home.

Asuna opened her eyes to a dark ceiling. The room was cold, and it was quiet. She wasn't used to silence anymore since she'd started living in her dorm, the walls weren't exactly thick and her neighbors could be rather loud at times. She'd gotten so used to the noise that the silence made her feel slightly uneasy.

She sat up in her bed and touched a small button that was on her nightstand and her curtains opened, she could hear the heat turn on as it came through the vents and blew softly into her room. She shivered slightly as the warmth soothed her aching shoulder. She put her legs off the side of the bed and stood up, then made her way to the bathroom.

She brushed her teeth and washed her face, getting refreshed for the day.
Once she was done she walked back to her room and looked at her closet, after some careful struggling, she managed to wiggle into a baggy sweater with a pair of jeans with some leg warmers.

She sighed in frustration with herself as she tried to do her hair, but her fingers on her left hand wouldn't cooperate with her,  l still a little stiff. She eventually gave up and opted to twist all of her hair into a braid over her shoulder.

She opened her door once again and walked downstairs, she was greeted with the house keeper.

"Good morning Miss Yuuki." She said as she bowed. Asuna bowed her head as well. "Good morning Miss Shiso." The old lady smiled and gestured to the dining room. "Your parents have both left for the day, but your mother left you a note in the dining room and I will prepare breakfast now, alright dear?" She said as she walked into the kitchen.

"Ah, yes. Thank you." Asuna replied as she got to the bottom of the stairs and walked across the hall to the dining room, she opened the door and spotted the white piece of paper sitting on the dark oak table. She picked it up and her eyes quickly drifted over the words.

Asuna,

Your father will be working late tonight, I will be home in time for dinner this evening.

I have left some profiles for you to go over in my office. I will expect you to have a final choice for a meeting by the time I come back. Please ask Miss. Shiso if you need any help with anything, don't strain yourself.

I will see you tonight.

Mother.

Asuna pressed her lips together as she placed the note back on the table. She left the room and walked to her mothers office, she opened the door and sure enough, three profiles were lined up on her mothers desk.

All 4 had their own binder, with tabs on the pages showing their education, family heritage, and pros and cons. She picked them up and made her way back up to her room. She tossed the binders on her bed and sat down, staring blankly at the files. It was as if she'd never left. She tightened her hands into fists in her lap as she stared at them.

A black haired boy popped into her mind, and she smiled. She wondered what Kirito was doing at the moment, or if he was even awake yet, she reached for her phone and texted him a quick good morning. She received a reply quickly and she felt her anxiety calm, and a smile spread on her face. She put her phone down and went back downstairs to have breakfast.

Once she was done she spent the day relaxing, she had already completed most of her winter break homework which left her with lots of free time. She sat in the living room reading books and enjoying the soft music that flowed smoothly through the house. After some time she glanced at the clock, she figured she had been reading longer than she thought as the time read 5pm and as she looked at the time she heard the front door open.

She looked behind into the front foyer to see her mother removing her shoes and placing her keys on one of the hooks on the wall. She turned to look at her daughter in acknowledgement before speaking.

"Have you cleaned your wound yet?" She said calmly. Asuna looked at her arm and shook her head. "I... haven't been able to do it myself yet..." she admitted. It hurt too much to try to attempt it herself. Her mother nodded and gestured for Asuna to come with her upstairs. She had her sit on the edge of the tub and helped her remove her sweater. Then undid her bandages and Asuna got a look at the ugly wound.

Her face scrunched up as she looked at the stitches holding her wound together. A sickly purple and green surrounded it and it looked very raw, her mother didn't show much emotion as she began to carefully clean the wound, washing it out and only speaking to ask her if she was being too rough, which Asuna responded to with a shake of her head. Once her mother finished wrapping up the wound again, she helped her shirt back over her head.

"Thank you." Asuna said as they both walked out of the room and into down the stairs. "Dinner should be ready in the kicthen. I'll be there in a moment." Said her mother as she walked towards her office, leaving Asuna to go take her seat. She walked into a large dining room and took her seat, and her mother followed in momentarily.

Once dinner was served, they both ate in silence until her mother spoke up. "Have you looked at those files?" She said as she lifted her glass of wine. Asuna froze and swallowed. "N..no... I haven't seen them yet. I started reading and I got distracted..." she answered.
She heard a long sigh from her mother. "You can't avoid it Asuna... you should be preparing for this while you can, at this rate we won't be able to match you until after you graduate college."

Asuna's eyes widened slightly. "Mother... I want to at least have a free choice, why can't I pick someone myself?" She asked. Her mother tilted her head, as if considering it, and then nodded. "As long as I approve of who you pick, I dont see a problem with that." She said with a wave of her hand. Asuna relaxed and took another bite of food. "But naturally if your father and I don't approve you have to find someone else." She finished.

Asuna sighed and looked at her mother. "I'm finished, I think a walk might do me some good, I've been inside all day." She said as she stood up. She went to pick up her plate but her mother shook her head making her pause. "I'll have Miss. Shiso get your plate, don't be out too late." She said simply. Asuna nodded and left the dining room swiftly.

She walked to the front door and slipped her arm into her sleeve, then hung the shoulder of the other side over her injured arm. "I'm heading out" She said before slipping out into the night.
She took in a deep breath as the chilly air stung her chest. She pushed her gate open and picked a direction to begin walking.
She didn't know how long she'd been walking but she found herself at her old playground. The snow sparkled in the moonlight and the Christmas lights reflected off the white surface in a flurry of fun colours. Asuna smiled and took a seat on a nearby bench to enjoy the view.

She heard snow crunching near by and turned her head. She didn't see anything, but continued to hear the rustling of snow, she stood up and cautiously walked over. She pulled a branch from a bush down and there were two big eyes staring back at her.

Then she heard the tiniest little mew.

A little white kitten crawled out of the bush. It looked very small, and very cold. "You poor thing..." Asuna said as she leaned down. The kitten was timid and backed away for a moment, but then it slowly made its way to her hand and nuzzled against it.

"You're very sweet.... did you get separated from your mother?" Asuna said as she scooped up the little creature. "Well, I'll take you with me, you can meet my mother, she's a little stern but she'll like you." Asuna smiled and gave a soft boop on the kittens head, which was returned with another little mew.

Asuna turned around and left the park and headed home, the kitten tucked in her hand nestled into her coat.