Chapter Twelve: Winter Break Begins

Kirito awoke to the soft wirring of the heater going through the vents. It was nice and quiet, something he wasn't used to since he always heard people coming and going from the dorms in his student complex. He sat up and looked at the clock, 10am.

Part of him wanted to roll over and go back to sleep, but a text from his phone got his attention and he picked it up to look. It was Asuna texting him good morning, he smiled and texted her back before swinging his legs over the side of the bed and stretching as he stood up. He yawned before throwing on a shirt and opening his bedroom door. He walked down the stairs and turned into the kicthen.

"Hey Kazuto, I wasn't expecting you to be up so early, you were staying up working on your robotics pretty late last night." A voice called out to him. He shrugged as he walked in. "Yea well, my internal clock has changed a bit since the last time you saw me sis." He answered as he walked over and rubbed her head, successfully messing up her hair. Suguha laughed before flipping the pancakes over on the pan.

"How's highschool going for you Sugu? Have you completely taken over the kendo club yet?" Kirito asked as he started pulling out plates and glasses and set them on the table. Suguha sighed,  "come on Kazuto don't tease me like that... but yea pretty much." She said with a nod as a sly smirk formed on her face. Kirito nodded in approval and Suguha brought over the plate of pancakes and set them down. The siblings began to eat and catch up on everything that they had missed from one another, which was going well until Suguha brought up a certain chesnut haired girl.

"So... the other day Eugeo told me that you're seeing Asuna Yuuki..." she said in a nonchalant tone, Kirito looked up at her and accidentally inhaled his pancake on his fork and began choking. Sugu handed him his orange juice which he gulped down.

"Its...its not a big deal." He said as he set the glass down and looked at his sister. "You had a crush on her in highschool if I remember correctly." Sugu continued to tease. Kirito only grumbled in response and quickly ate the rest of his breakfast. He was about to reply but both siblings heard the door open and turned their attention to a blonde haired boy as he closed the door behind him.

"Eugeo!" Kirito yelled a little too frantically as he leaped out of his seat and over to the blonde. "Hey Sugu its Eugeo! We gotta go now, college stuff awaits." Kirito said as he tried to escape the teasing grin on his younger sisters face. Euego gave her a questioning look which she shrugged off. "Alright you guys have fun, but I'm gonna wanna meet her soon Kazuto." Sugu said as she continued eating.

Finally seeming to understand Eugeo began to chuckle as Kirito grabbed his coat and boots and dragged his friend out of the house.

"So.... Suguha found out about you and Asuna huh?" Eugeo teased. Kirito turned and gave his friend a stern look and Eugeo smiled back. "Oh come on, you never really hid that you liked her" the green eyed boy argued. "That's true... I was pretty invisible back then, I know I've said it before but I'm still surprised she knew who I  was when we met again." He admitted.

Eugeo sighed as he shook his head. He knew that Kirito never thought much of himself, or of how much others appreciated him. He had a very bad habit of ignoring any attention he got from anyone as a kid.

He spent a lot of time building computers Eugeo remembered, one day as a kid Eugeo accidentally came across Kirito, or Kazuto back before they became friends, in the computer lab taking apart one of the school computers, he'd asked him what he was doing, and Kirito had shyly looked at the blonde and said,

"It's easier like this... I can understand it easier than people."

Eugeo had started hanging out with Kirito more after that, until they became the best of friends that they are now.

Eugeo smiled and hooked his arm around his dark haired friend, pulling him forward. "Uah!" Kirito yelped as he nearly got thrown off balance. "Oy, Eugeo! Cut it out its slippery!" Kirito warned. "Come on, let's just get back to my place and finish the project so I can kick your ass in Ordinal Scale." Eugeo said as he released Kirito.
Kirito smirked in response and looked at his friend. "Good luck with that." He challenged, the boys smirked at eachother and then proceeded to race back to Eugeo's house.