Chapter Twenty-One: Surprise Visit

Asuna awoke the next morning to to discover she was alone in her bed, she reached out to the other side, feeling around, but no one was there.
She sighed and rolled over, snuggling into her sheets again until a smell wafted up into her room.
She sat up, rubbing her eyes and sliding her legs off the side of the bed, she grabbed her robe and slid it on as she walked downstairs.

"Good morning." Kirito called out over his shoulder, flipping an omelette over in a pan.
"Good morning.." Asuna replied, walking over to his side.
She laced her arms around the arm he wasn't using and leaned into him. "You're making breakfast?" She asked, looking at the cheesy omelette.
"Yea, I figured I owed you for that... incident last night." He shrugged.
She gave him a confused look, leaning to look at his face, he avoided her eyes, focusing on finishing preparing breakfast.
"It's okay Kirito.... It happens to everyone." She reminded him, rubbing his shoulder gently.

He picked up the plates and set them on the counter.
"I just.... I didn't want you to see me like that." He said, sitting on one of the stools.
"Well... it was just a nightmare right?" She asked, her head tilting slightly.
Kirito looked like he was contemplating something as his brows furrowed.
"Yea, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be so weird about it, I guess maybe you seeing me have a nightmare embarrassed me a little." He admitted, shoulders shrugging as his eyes met hers.
Something wasn't right. Asuna couldn't explain why but something felt off to her, but she didn't want to pry, so she nodded and smiled as she started on her breakfast.

They two finished eating, Asuna washing dishes and Kirito sat at the counter.
"Are you sure I can't help?" He asked, she shook her head. "It's fine, you made breakfast, and I don't want you using that hand yet." She said with a smile.

"The roads look pretty bad... are you sure you'll be okay going home?" Asuna asked as she watched her boyfriend slide on his black winter coat and his shoes.
"I'll be careful, I have some assignments that I have to finish up for class tomorrow. I'll let you know when I'm back though." He said straightening up, keys in hand.
Asuna gave him a worried lol, making him smile softly, he pulled her in for a kiss, then pulled away.
"I'll be fine." He assured.
"You'd better be." She warned, but a content smile on her face all the same.

Just as he was turning around to leave, the door handle jiggled, making them both jump in surprise.
The door opened to reveal Shouzou Yuuki, Asuna's father.

"F-father?" Asuna stuttered, immediately straitening up, Kirito felt the air in the room instantly loose all of its warmth, turning tense.

"Mr. Yuuki... it's nice to see you again." He offered, stretching his hand out. The stoic man looked him in the eye, suspicion clear in his gaze, but he shook his hand, a professional smile on his face.
"I remember you from when we went to visit Asuna in the infirmary. Nice to see you again, under better circumstances."
Kirito nodded, his hand falling back to his side. That wasn't something he wanted to remember, the terror of wondering. He swallowed trying to push the unwanted feeling back down.

"Father... it's a surprise to see you, this is your first time visiting." Asuna stated, "what are you doing here?"
Shouzou cleared his throat and smiled, if one could call it that. "Darling I told you I was coming last night.... Did you not check your email?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

Kirito watched Asuna, her eyes panicked for a split second.
"Oh I see. Well the power went out last night... I didn't have access to my school email. Im sorry," she said with a slight head tilt.
"I see. Well then we'll just discuss it now, your mother and I have picked someone to have a meeting with you, his family could be an asset to the business and we all decided it would be good for you two to sit down and chat."
Asuna's lips parted slightly. Then shut into a tight line.
"Mother and I already discussed this... we agreed I would be able to pick for myself." She said flatly, her hand tightened into a fist.
Shouzou exhaled.
"Maybe this is a conversation we should have privately." He suggested, his gaze falling on the only other person in the room.

"A-ah I'm so sorry, I was just leaving, I'll uh... I'll see you Asuna." Kirito stuttered out before slipping past both of them.
Asuna's eyes looked at him apologetically. He gave her a small smile, then turned and left the apartment swiftly.

"I hope he isn't what you decided on." Shouzou said, voice much flatter than before.

"What? How can you say that? You barely know anything about him." Asuna shot back.

"I can see enough. He doesn't know what he'll be getting himself into." Her father scoffed, moving past her and taking a seat at the bar counter.

"He's a technology major!" Asuna retorted. "He's a lot smarter than what you give him credit for."

"Listen Asuna I don't have much time, and I didn't come here to argue with you, I came to tell you about your meeting."

Asuna stared at him. She couldn't believe this.
She sighed and walked over to join her father.
"Who." She sighed.
"You know the Antinous family."
"That.... That's the lawyer who helped you win your settlement last year." Asuna recalled.

"Yes, that was Nishki Antinous, and his son has officially joined the family by going to law school, he's just graduated." Shouzou explained, pulling up a file on his phone and swiping it over for Asuna to see.

Dirty blonde hair, bright hazel eyes. Asuna's lips parted slightly as her father repeated the name she'd already known.

"Raios Antinous will be coming here next weekend." Her father said. She looked at him in disbelief.
"You...you can't just do that.." she said, glaring at him."
"Asuna, sweetie I'm only asking for a meeting. Just while we close the business deal with his parents, please, humor your mother at least."
Her father asked, his voice softened.

Asuna fists balled up at her sides, she couldn't believe this, what was she going to tell Kirito? How could she even begin to explain this to him? Her hands fell flat to her sides as she sighed.
"Alright."