Chapter Eighteen: Festival Celebration

Everyone was chattering with excitement as they parked, one by one they toppled out of the car and hurried over to the path that would lead them to the New Years festival.

Kirito kept stealing glances at the chesnut haired girl as she walked ahead of him with Alice and Suguha. The nape of her neck was poking out from her Kimono, kirito had noticed, and there was a couple baby hairs grazing the back of her neck playfully. He'd realized he'd never really seen her with her hair up, the realization making his cheeks tingle.

"You know.... if you stare any harder you'll probably burn a hole through her." He heard Eugeo tease, he rolled his eyes slightly and coughed, clearing his throat in an attempt to cover his embarrassment of being caught.

"I'm just nervous. I spent a lot of time picking her present out, we agreed we'd wait until tomorrow to exchange presents... but I couldn't help myself." Kirito shrugged as he pulled the small box from his Kimono pocket. Euego smiled and nodded. "She's going to love it. I'm sure she'd love anything you got her." He added as he pat his shoulder. Kirito smiled at him and tucked the flat box back into his pocket.

Asuna was up ahead with the girls, and they were chatting softly about the same topic.

"Did you bring it?" Alice had asked glancing behind her at the boys, who were now just talking amongst themselves as they always did.
"Of course I brought it.... I've been thinking about it all night." Asuna replied.

"When are you going to give it to him?" Sugu asked as she bounced with excitement. "I can tell you as his sister he would love it even if you got him a rock at this point." She said with a snort.

Asuna smiled and squeezed the wrapped item she had hiding in her Kimono. She had worked the past few nights on it, getting material and trying to stitch it all together so it was snug enough, she only hoped he would like them.

"Probably just before the Fireworks begin... I think that's as good a time as any" she decided out loud, smiling at the two girls. They all chattered among themselves until they came up the hill and were dazzled by the lights and colours the festival gave off.

"Kazuto! Will you catch me a goldfish? You do it every year!" Suguha asked as she pulled her brother to one of the shimmering stands, leading him away from their group. Kirito gave his sister a scolding look, but gave in once she placed her hands together, pleading.

He gave the vendor the fee, picked up a paper net and leaned forward, watching the fish with concentration. Everyone watched as his eyes followed a particular fish, it's scales orange, white, and gold looking bits.

"HAH!" he shouted as he dove the net in, grabbing the fish quickly. Suguha jumped in excitement as the fish flopped in the net. A triumphant look displayed clearly on her brothers face. The vendor packaged the fish and handed it to Suguha. She smiled and thanked her brother.

"Now come on. Let's find the others." He chucked as he ruffled her hair. The siblings wandered into the crowd, Kirito's eyes looking specifically for the chestnut hair belonging to Asuna. After some time, Suguha pointed two blondes out at a Takoyaki stand. Eugeo munching on the small fried treat as Alice shook her head smugly. "You eat those every year Eugeo, let's try something else!" She groaned.

Eugeo, finishing his last piece, nodded as he chewed it quickly. "Alright alright, you pick next?" He said with a smile at the golden haired girl.

"Hey guys" Kirito called out as he and Suguha neared the two, although they seemed to be preoccupied. "Baby Castellas! They're going to run out soon. Suguha! You wanna have some with me?" Sugu stuttered in surprise at being put on the spot, however Kirito's head turned away from them, scanning the people around them before his eyebrows furrowed. "Hey guys... where's Asuna?" He asked, eyes still searching.