FORTY-NINE

❝There's no time for regrets. You just have to keep moving forward.❞

Chapter forty-nine:

NO REGRETS

They had kissed before — during other times, in another life. Drawn by an attraction that had been there from the very beginning, lust and desire had marked their steps back then.

When his lips finally pressed against hers, her heart leaped in her chest. His kiss was still rough, pouring ardour and desperation like many times before. However, something was different. His hand sneaked behind her neck to bring her closer, tilting her head so their mouths moulded perfectly.

She allowed him to move her body as he wished, lost in the way he was kissing her. Because it was so familiar, and so different at the same time. His fingers grazed the skin that showed between her shirt and the hem of her trousers, and the simple touch was enough to make her entire body shiver.

He had never kissed her like that. With such passion and longing. His emotions hit her like a truck, slamming her against the closed door while his body pressed against hers. There was more than lust in his movements, more than a mere response to his initial frustration.

Only when he parted from her did she realise she had been still the whole time. Not unresponsive, just feeling — both his emotions and hers. There was no trace of disappointment in his darkened eyes when he gazed upon her stunned face, as if he knew the reason why she was silent. As if he knew she could feel the change within him and was waiting for her to respond.

He was not afraid to open the gates to his heart to her, not anymore. Galene could see it so clearly in his eyes; what he felt for her was no longer hidden from view but waiting for her to accept it. And deep inside, she knew he knew. He had no reason to be afraid because her eyes reflected just as much as his.

When her hand traced his jaw with a feathery touch, he leaned his forehead against hers. It was overwhelming, and yet, she breathed it all in without complaints.

"You've been such a pain in my ass," she murmured with a slight smirk.

The hand that had been grazing her waist circled her to tug at her trousers, letting a bold finger slid inside while his palm kissed her lower back.

Levi placed his mouth against her ear and said in a husky voice, "I wish."

Her hands were buried in his hair a second later as she finally reciprocated, kissing him with as much fervour as he had showed. Their tongues met again after years of solitude, reuniting like long lost lovers in her mouth.

They kept sharing kisses for long minutes, showing their emotions like only them could. No words filled the space, taken up by their actions instead. And they cared not about trashing the place when the air became too heavy and their clothes too suffocating. A simple lock, a couple of seconds of pause, and a shared look was all that was needed before their bodies took control of the moment.

Nevertheless, their hearts still held the driving wheel.

»·«

An hour later, Galene was sitting in the company of Hange and Jack. The room she was in was spacious, with a couple of long sofas and a few bookshelves. As she relaxed on one of the couches, stretching her legs across its length while drinking from a glass of whisky, she tried not to let her contentment show on her face. Her skin still tingled, as if it were covered in remains of his touch. She had to force herself to focus on the conversation taking place, instead of diving into the pleasant memories of a passionate encounter.