TWENTY-THREE

❝Even in moments of deepest despair we can still find hope.❞ ㅡ Hange Zoë

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter twenty-three:

NEW BEGINNINGS

Galene huffed, irked beyond belief ㅡ not that it was unusual. 

Her eyes narrowed into slits as they glared at the man standing before her, her hands clenched into tight fists. She gnashed her teeth, and she looking around the crowded room, taking in the wary faces of those who seated by a large table. Ever so fleetingly, her eyes glanced at Erwin Smith and sent him a cold, unamused look. 

The room was faintly illuminated; an ostentatious lamp hung on a high ceiling above the wooden table, its candles drew waving paths of orange light on the carpeted floor as their flames fluctuated under the blows of an inexistent breeze. A single window stood opposite to the door, blocking the way of the tempest raging outside. Its curtains had been drawn, yet outside a leaden sky shadowed the city and forests. It held a note of depression that caused Galene to furrow her brow.

Rain plummeted from grey clouds, but from time to time, it would turn into continuous drizzling; as if the storm had run out of strength. Wind blew hastily, assaulting trees and buildings in its wake. 

Galene was both marvelled and irritated by it.

Turning away from the world spread on the other side of the whistling tempest, the woman allowed her eyes to fall upon the men seated at the table. There, she witnessed disdain and indifference, curiosity and discernment. It didn't surprise her in the least ㅡ she was used to that sort of looks, of treatment. However, she also saw an underlying glint of fear in their eyes.

Galene smirked; she took pride in intimidating people.

Sniffing caught her attention and turned her amusement into aggravation. Looking back at the man standing before her, she ignored Hange's amused expression and clicked her tongue in exasperation.

She puckered her lips. "Don't take this the wrong way, but sniffing people is weird as fuck."

Instead of looking offended, the man smirked and nodded in apparent approval. Baffled, Galene quirked an eyebrow ㅡ what is his deal?

"Galene, meet Mike Zacharias," Hange said while throwing an arm across her shoulders. Surprisingly, Galene didn't scowl at her. "He's your new captain."

Unable to hide her surprise, Galene whipped her head to look at Erwin for confirmation. Upon receiving a curt nod, her eyes narrowed and she looked back at Mike.

"Before you throw a fit," Erwin started, "let us explain the reasons behind this decision."

"Don't bother," she snapped. "Let me guess. My temperament can't be handled by this idiot," ㅡshe pointed to Hange, who merely poutedㅡ "and you think this weirdo will be able to deal with me. Even if it doesn't work, having me separated from the other three nutjobs will make things less chaotic for everyone."

"Sharp tongue you have there," muttered one of the men, whose name she never bothered to ask. "Expected from someone like you."

She ground her teeth.

Erwin fixed his blue eyes on the woman as she blew her hair from her face, surveying her closely. His mind was far too complex for her to try deciphering, so she simply gave him an expectant stare in return and waited for him to speak.