FORTY-SEVEN

❝You'll face many defeats in life, but never let yourself be defeated.❞

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter forty-seven:

UNSPOKEN CONFESSION

With pursed lips, Galene skimmed through the files she had been studying since early in the morning. Now, with the sun at its highest spot on the blue sky, her focus didn't waver but her eyes burned with exhaustion.

"What do you think?"

Taking a sip from her coffee — the third cup that morning — and massaging her temples afterwards, she looked up at Erwin and nodded. "These reports are very helpful. They not only show their accomplishments in every mission, but also give me an idea as to how their minds work."

Erwin gave a small smile and took a seat next to her. Glancing at him from the corner of her eye, she could tell her words had pleased him; it was not common for her to compliment others. But she couldn't deny there was an impressive amount of hard-work between the lines in those documents, and it was remarkable.

"Levi wrote most of them," he eventually commented. "It's his squad, after all."

Taking a specific file with information about Mikasa Ackerman, she hummed in understanding. "Each of them has traits that help their team become stronger," she granted before grimacing. "But..."

"What is it?" he prodded.

Suddenly, the door behind her opened and a red apple landed on top of the files. Seconds ticked by as the silence was only disturbed by the morning breeze.

"You skipped breakfast, brat."

Galene observed the shiny fruit before returning to the previous conversation, as if nothing had interrupted it. "The mission will have a bigger chance at success if some of them are separated."

Erwin glanced at the person watching behind her, before his eyes flickered back to her face.

"Who exactly are you talking about, Galene?" inquired Hange from across the table.

She looked at her. "Mikasa."

Erwin gave a sigh. "She worries about Eren. But you may be right about splitting them up."

"There's no room for emotions on the battlefield. It could mark the difference between success and failure, and we can't afford that."

She could feel his eyes burning a hole in the back of her head, but she refused to turn around.

"She won't be happy," mentioned Hange.

Running a hand through her hair, Galene ignored the feeling of his intense stare on her and glanced at her friend. "I'll deal with her if she complains. Her... infatuation would only cloud her judgement and slow her down; our enemies could take advantage of that."

Erwin nodded. "I agree. We've been discussing our plan of attack, and I believe we can reach a good ending to this apocalyptic world." He surveyed them before adding, "Together."

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's hear it!" Hange exclaimed, eager.

With a low chuckle, the commander shook his head and shared a look with Galene, who nodded.

"I must meet with the other commanders in the capital. They, as well as the queen, need to know about it," he explained while putting his files together and standing up. "Galene, I trust you will handle the rest without problem."