FIVE

If there's something you don't understand, learn to understand it. It's well worth any risk of our lives.❞ ㅡ Hange Zoë

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter five:

CLASH

The day had finally arrived.

After discussing the plan one last time, the gang left the security provided by their sorry-excuse-of-a house and sprang into action.

Less than amused by the fact that she had been ordered to watch their backs as they attracted their target, Galene scowled and followed soon after. While keeping her distance, Levi's words echoed in her mind.

"You'll be supporting us from behind, since you can't do teamwork."

Now, as much as she hated to admit it, Galene knew he was right and had made the correct decision. However, her pride wasn't amused with the idea of being in the rear back.

Swallow your ego for a moment. You just need those idiots to get you out of here, she told herself. You'll be gone as soon as the job's done.

The familiar sound of gears snapped her out of her thoughts, immediately calling for her attention. She didn't need to spare a glance over her shoulder to know they had been spotted, but she did nonetheless. There were five of them, all of whom wore green capes and moved across the air with ease and swiftness. Quickly looking forward, Galene propelled herself towards her comrades and, after warning them about their pursuers, proceeded to hide in the shadow of a house. 

Soon enough, the Survey Corps flew past her, and even though the fact of having gone unnoticed disturbed her in the beginning, she dissipated her worries and chased after them.

Keeping a safe distance from the soldiers, she noticed how Farlan and Isabel rounded different corners as an attempt to make the soldiers lose track of them, but they were instantly followed by four of their pursuers; which left only one of them to catch Levi.

One of her eyebrows arched at that, and her features contorted into a grimace of uneasiness. 

"Follow one of them -- Isabel or Farlan -- to make sure the plan goes as expected."

To hell with your orders, Galene thought while gritting her teeth, before her feet pushed off the ground and she followed Levi. Those two are capable enough to handle a pair of stupid soldiers.

Had she not been so caught up in anger, she would have noticed the figure tracking her down. Galene was way too focused on Levi's form as he kept a distance from his captor; by the time she realized she was being followed, it was too late. 

A woman dressed in the same soldier clothes was nearing her from behind at incredible speed, which only managed to light a fire in the redhead's heart. From her spot, now hanging between two buildings, Galene could catch sight of the excited grin on the woman's face and the daring stare gleaming in her eyes, which hid behind big glasses.

Whether it was the unexpected sight or the fact that she had failed to notice her presence what made her grow angrier, Galene didn't know nor did she care. Her instincts told her to confront the threat as she had learned to do over the years; however, the rational voice in her mind convinced her to do otherwise.