TEN

When you open yourself up to someone, you show them where to put the knife in.❞ ㅡ Galene Magnolia

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter ten:

FAMILY

Warm water poured down on her, cleaning away the dirt her body had been coated in during the expedition to the outside world. Her skin welcomed it, forming goosebumps along her arms and legs as cold and hot battled to prevail in the humid air.

A sigh of contentment escaped her parted lips, and Galene allowed herself to lower her guard for the first time since she had arrived there; her muscles relaxed as stress and tension banished from her body, her features lost its furrowed frown, and her mind became free of its turmoil.

Placing a hand on the cold wall in front of her, she lowered her head and closed her eyes as hot droplets massaged the back of her neck. She breathed out; and with the exhalation, all traces of agitation left as well, fading into the steamy atmosphere.

Only the sound of water crashing on the wet floor echoed within those four walls, and the woman relished in the feeling of being by herself. No loud, happy-go-lucky sister lighting up the mood; no kind, but also exasperating man trying to ease up her mind; and no grumpy dwarf sending her inquisitive stares.

A shiver rolled down her spine, however, as an image flashed before her closed eyelids.

"Don't act as if you're not enjoying this."

Her hand clenched into a fist, before she punched the wall while shaking her head.

Snap out of it, she told her clouded mind.

Taking a deep breath, she forced it to go blank before heaving a sigh. Then, she turned the water off. For a fleeting moment, Galene stood still; enjoying the warmth caressing her bare skin, the smell of shampoo ㅡ lavender, she had learnt it was a type of purple flower that grew in the fields ㅡ, and the relaxing drip-drip of the remaining drops of water.

She had grown to appreciate those moments of absolute calm, as ever since she had joined those three robbers, they had become fewer and fewer. Still, the sketch of a smile drew on her lips.

"Gal, come out. We still need to talk." The voice of her sister snapped her out of her thoughts and brought back her usual mood. 

Clicking her tongue in slight vexation, Galene wrapped a greyish towel around her body and left the steamy room. Instantly, the cold breeze that slipped in through the open window hit her wet skin. 

Wrapping the cloth tighter around her frame, Galene turned to her sister with pursed lips. "Jeez, am I not allowed to have a shower? Give me a break, Isabel."

"Give her some clothes, too."

A slight blush crawled up her neck and threatened to embarrass her, but Galene fought it back by narrowing her eyes and giving Levi a nasty look. The man was casually sitting on her bed, arms crossed and giving away the impression he could not care less about her growing irritation.

"A little warning would have been appreciated, little sister."

Isabel scratched the back of her head and grinned sheepishly. "I didn't think you'd come out like this."

"Of course. I'm certain this jerk" ㅡshe pointed at Leviㅡ "was hoping I did."

Said man drifted his grey gaze to her and leaned back against the wall. "And why would I stay if that was the case?"