TWENTY-FIVE

Am I a soldier, or a warrior; that is what I have to figure out. Until I do, I'll just keep fighting.❞ ㅡ Galene Magnolia

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Chapter twenty-five:

SOLDIER

 One month later 

The girl was in a rush; she didn't mind bumping into wooden boxes, or scraping her skin with the walls of humble houses as she rounded corners. Running as fast as her skinny legs allowed her, she carried on down the streets without paying attention to her surroundings. From time to time, her feet would come to a sudden halt, if only to avoid crashing into one of the few stands situated in the middle of the sandy path.

For the second time, a meaningless apology escaped her lips before she resumed her race against time. Disapproving looks were shot her way, yet she had never minded what people thought of her; she was young, but way more mature than kids her age. Seeing her family being slaughtered before her very own eyes had changed her, and she had grown to cherish the few things she had and them alone.

The world was merciless, and she couldn't find it in herself to care about the rest.

Her worn-out shoes were filled with dirt and small stones, making it uncomfortable and slightly painful to keep running. But that girl had a mission, and nothing was stopping her from accomplishing it.

She had to find him.

He was always doing it; running off on his own, leaving her behind to worry and panic. Her heart hammered in its cage, her grey eyes were wide as they caught sight of the crowd standing at the end of the street.

She called his name, prey to anxiety. But her voice was muffled, the whispers floating around ironically too loud for her words to be heard. Frowning, the girl tried to squeeze her body between the considerably-bigger men and women blocking the way.

He had to be there.

Frantically, she pushed through and found herself standing in first row. And then, she froze.

Horses strolled by; soldiers rode them with serious, determined expressions. The Survey Corps, she noted. No matter how many times she had seen them rode by, she would never cease to be amazed by the sight. Their green capes, the wings of freedom drawn on their backs, their will to risk their lives outside the Walls for the sake of humanity... 

She admired them thoroughly.

"Ow!"

His voice snapped her back to the reason she was there: him

Whipping her head towards him, she felt her eyes widen upon noticing him sitting in the middle of the path and rubbing his shoulder. Panic filled her heart as one of the horses was forced to stop, if only to avoid stomping on his slouched form. At once, the girl was rushing towards him.

"Eren, are you all right?" she asked in a frantic voice.

Eren Jaeger looked up at her with an angry frown, causing her to falter ㅡ why couldn't he see she was there for him; not because his mother had begged her to protect him, but because she genuinely cared about him?

"I'm fine, Mikasa," he grunted out.

A heavy sigh was heard then, and Mikasa suddenly realized they were still standing in the middle of the path.

"You've got to be kidding me," someone muttered.

Bringing her grey eyes up to meet the soldier, she was surprised to see a woman getting off the horse and walking up to her. Mikasa was at a loss of words, not knowing how to address the situation and simply watching her in shock.