FORTY-FOUR

It takes a lot of courage to grow up and become who you really are.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR:

A SOLDIER'S LIFE

"When you said you knew a place," Galene started in an unamused voice, "I expected it to be full of drunken idiots, not noisy brats."

Laughter rang from Hange as they stood by the entrance, thus having become the centre of attention. Galene ignored the stares and glanced at the place itself, noticing the cracks on the wooden planks and the leftovers of drinks smeared across the brown walls. Following the amused woman to the bar located at the back of the room, she didn't bother to erase the glare from her eyes as they found the group of gossiping soldiers who had witnessed her argument with Jack.

"You can find both, actually," Hange commented lightly, yet her attention wasn't on her anymore.

They were sitting at one of the round tables, watching her walk by with different expressions on their young faces. As Galene stopped a foot from them, she observed them closely one by one... Until her gaze met a pair of grey, familiar eyes. A frown worked its way to her face as the owner returned the interest she showed.

Taken her by surprise, the young girl stood up and stuck her hand towards her.

"I'm Mikasa Ackerman." Her voice was strong and unwavering, yet soft. "It's an honour to meet you."

Her brown eyes widened ever-so-slightly as Galene watched the girl intently, touched by her words. Tilting her head, she didn't fail to notice the lack of innocence in her expression — nor did her last name escape her ears.

"I see you don't waste time spreading shit," she muttered to Hange. There was no malice in her voice, but she was curious as to why such amount of respect was coming her way from someone she had never met. "I'll tell you something, girl. If you knew what I've done, not just for the sake of humanity but for my own, you wouldn't be showing any kind of respect."

But Mikasa didn't waver. "Our lives don't get better when we join the Scouting Legion. We face monsters outside, but our fight isn't over when we return. The people we watch die and suffer... Those memories follow us even in our sleep. People like to talk and spread rumours, but they don't truly know us."

"And what's your point?"

"Not everyone is strong or brave enough to willingly become a soldier," Mikasa continued. "Enduring the pain and the suffering, knowing more will come and yet choosing this life... That's why you deserve that kind of respect. And I thank you for staying and fighting with us, when it was not the easiest option to ensure your own survival."

Warmth spread within her and the girl's words wrapped around her torn soul, and before Galene knew it, she was shaking her hand with a similar expression on her face.

"You have to walk through hell and back to learn to see beyond stereotypes and rumours." A smirk curled on her lips as she stepped back. "You're an interesting girl, Mikasa. I'm looking forward to fighting alongside you."

Galene turned around and forced herself not to punch the knowing smirk off Hange's face, yet her face twisted into an unimpressed expression. "Where is my drink, dumbass?"

"I already took it to our table," she replied smoothly while pointing at a spot behind her. "You're welcome."

Three pairs of eyes returned her stare, causing Galene to bit the inside of her cheek and click her tongue. As the enthusiastic woman wrapped an arm around hers and dragged her to their table, Galene surveyed those she was joining.