THREE

❝A few bad chapters does not mean your story is over.❞ — Farlan

Chapter three:

FREEDOM

Freedom — a word so simple yet so powerful. For people like Galene, it was something she desired above all else; it was the ultimate prize, the key to unlocking the chains that had been dragging her around since birth.

Never had it been more than a dream; sometimes, carrying such an intense longing that made her hatred grow endlessly. Because it was too far away; it didn't belong to the likes of her.

However, something had changed in her heart; hope was screaming to be let out. With the promise of freedom hanging in the air, there was no way Galene was going to allow petty thoughts to cloud her judgement. And Levi seemed to be on board with the plan, which didn't surprise her in the least.

Life in the underground wasn't easy; the weakest died on the streets while the strongest had long since stopped caring about morals and followed a much darker path — joining sides with those who hadn't been born there, but locked down due to their criminal lives. 

Her eyes observed Levi as he sat by a round table, taking into his calm demeanour. Curiosity pricked her; she wondered what kind of monsters lurked in his past, if the scars created by them had moulded him into the man he was now — like it had happened to her. 

He intrigued her, but not enough to show it.

Levi glanced at her, meeting her eyes briefly before quirking an eyebrow. Looking away, the woman crossed one leg over the other as she sat on the wooden floor and pursed her lips.

"What did you do with the gear?" His voice was low and held a hint of irritation, which made her bite back a smirk — it was evident he was still resented about his lost gear. "If I find out you sold it, I'll break your fucking legs."

Galene scoffed at his threat. "As much as I'd like to see you try, I haven't sold it. Do you take me for an idiot?" His silence was enough of an answer, erasing the amusement from her face and drawing a warning in her eyes. "Don't make the mistake of antagonizing me, Levi. Unless you want me to show you my bite is actually worse than my bark."

His expression didn't shift, but she saw a flicker of realization swim in his grey gaze.

"I see you're not just a cocky bitch, but a nosy brat as well."

Her jaw locked as she did her best to control her raging emotions. "Don't tempt me, freak."

She saw his expression darken, yet she was far from intimidated by his glare.

"I take it you know how to use that gear, then."

The sudden change of topic caught her off guard, and that second of hesitation was an answer on its own.

"Why would you even care?" she muttered in a meek attempt at saving her pride.

For the first time since she had been there, the sketch of a smirk formed on his lips. He had seen through her, and the fact seemed to amuse him. Narrowing her eyes upon his smug face, Galene opened her mouth to make a snarky comment.

Suddenly, the door flew open and Isabel stumbled in, landing on the ground with a grunt of pain. Jumping to her feet, Galene felt her muscles tense and her stomach churn with unexpected rage as a thug waddled inside.

"You stay on the floor, little bitch." A shiny weapon was held between his bony fingers, and he aimed it towards her sister as another man made his presence known. "This will teach you to not steal from us."