Chapter 9

Your POV

     Bucky stayed over until about one o'clock(13:00), until he got a call saying that he was needed back at the tower. He really didn't want to go, but I ushered him out, saying that I would still be here when he got back. He promised that he'd be back early enough for Grant's surprise, and I said that I'd hold him to that.

     Grant's surprise was a puppy, if you couldn't tell. I found a lady on Facebook that had a dog that had puppies a few weeks ago, and I jumped on the opportunity. Grant has been asking for a dog ever since we moved in, and since he's been doing so good in school, and at home, I finally caved. And since it was so close to his birthday, it would count as an early birthday present as well.

     The puppies were black Newfoundland's, and after some research, I found that they were great family dogs, and even better with kids. I had scheduled to go to Anna's house(the lady that's got the puppies) with Grant and Bucky. I was going to buy a puppy in advance, but I wanted Grant to be able to pick his own out, since it would be his responsibility. I had no concerns or worries about Grant taking good care of this dog. He was good with the livestock when we lived back in Tennessee, and he always made sure that they were taken care of when I sometimes forgot.

     I was grabbing the puppy supplies out of my closet that I had expertly hidden, when my alarm went off. I ignored it for a few moments as I continued to grab everything the puppy would need, like it's bed, bowls, toys, and even a small bag of hard kibble. I walked over to my bed with my arms full and turned off my alarm, and then I made my way downstairs. I set up everything that the dog would need in the corner of the living room, and then ran back upstairs to get the medium-sized dog crate that the dog would sleep in at night.

     Once everything was set up, I rushed over to the shoe rack and threw on my shoes, and grabbed my purse. I walked slightly slower than usual to Grant's school, bummed out that Bucky wasn't back yet. Maybe he wouldn't be back before Grant's surprise after all. I knew that he was an Avenger, and that he had a job to do and a world to save, but it was hard for me and Grant when he had to suddenly up and leave.

     I stared at my feet as I approached the school, trying to clear my head of any negative thoughts, and put on a happy facade for Grant. When I walked up to the front of the school, I spotted Grant in no time. But what surprised me was that Bucky was sitting beside Grant, with their backs turned to me.. They were on a bench, looking around, probably looking for me. I smirked evilly as I approached them as quietly as I could, any noise that I made being covered up by other children and their parents.

     As I made my way right behind the bench, I grabbed each of their shoulders snd yelled "BOO". Both of them jumped out of their skin and I cackled as I made my way to sit on the other side of Grant.

"You almost made me have a stroke." Bucky breathed heavily with a hand on his chest.

"Well you're certainly old enough to to have one of those." I laughed and Bucky stuck his tongue out at me.

"How was school?" I looked at Grant.

"Amazing! I played with Jenna today on the slide!" He spoke excitedly as he bounced in his seat.

"Who's Jenna?" I wiggled my eyebrows at him and his little face turned red.

"You got yourself a girlfriend, Grant?" Bucky nudged him with his elbow.